how to play highnotes?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by jimt123, Oct 3, 2009.

1. jimt123

jimt123 New Friend

Jun 16, 2009
    I know that every trumpet player high (sarcasm of course). Does anyone have any advice for how to play high? I am relatively new to the trumpet but i multiple second parts to songs that go up to a's b's and one c above the staff. Can anyone give me any excercises or something to raise my range? any help is greatly appreciated

Thank you

2. bagmangood

bagmangood Forte User

Practice - only way.
    Practicing softly can help, especially playing softly and (most importantly) with the right sound. Your sound, the same one you play with everywhere else.
    and oh,
    practice :-)

3. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Put the mouthpiece onto your over the decades trained lips in the right way, inhale using proper breathing techniques built up over many years and BLOW.

Instant High Notes.

If you don't have good range, you haven't been practicing the right things long enough.

The exercizes for greater range are the same as the ones for making better music. They can be found on every page of Arban, Clarke, Schossberg, Irons, St. Jacome and just about any other decent method book.

I am not making fun of you. Getting high notes is stupid if you haven't built range musically. There is nothing more annoying than a player with high notes and no brains to find a way to use them intelligently.

4. mlrenick

mlrenick Pianissimo User

Sep 20, 2009
    Ft. Myers, Florida
    I'm practicing slurring techniques and it seems to be helping. The Arbans book is great but another book that might help for beginners is called Twenty-Seven Groups of exercises for cornet and trumpet by Earl Irons. Its helping me build my range like Rowuk said and I noticed it is helping me with the high notes too. I also heard playing low notes helps with high notes.

5. Outkastah

Outkastah Pianissimo User

Aug 29, 2009
    Boston
    My main execersise for getting my chops up is just playing high for a while. I only play high (for Fun) every other day because doing it everyday gives your face no time to adjust. Another thing, I only play up to what I can, dont pull too hard into your face or go too hard on yourself it will just wear you down quicker. Lastly only do it for a little while you dont want to be blasting C's for 3 hours and then expect the next day to be able to take it up an octive, it takes time and a lot of practicing. I have a range up to double C on a good day but I need some work too. lol hope this helped

6. Al Innella

Al Innella Forte User

Aug 9, 2007
    Levittown , NY
    To start building range above the staff , you have to try extend your range every day, do this by playing soft long tones starting on C in the staff and work your way down an octave and rest a couple of min.s , then start on the C in the staff again , and play long tones to G above the staff, rest again, then play an arpeggio starting on the 2nd line G in the staff using 1-3 fingerings, then Ab 2-3, A 1-2, Bb 1, B 2, C 0. Try to extend your range by a half step each day , don't over do it ,if the notes comes out ,it comes out if it doesn't , it doesn't don't give up, don't force or use pressure. Lip slurs help a lot, Colin Lip flexibilities are very good, there may be others , remember practice,practice ,practice.

7. Markie

Markie Forte User

Jan 4, 2009
    Clarksburg, WV
    Find a first year starters book and pick out little songs and take it up an ocatve. Work on this a little every day. Don't forget your lip slurs and practice a little out of pg 125 Arbans. That should do the trick. If you work these three things a little everyday, by the time Christmas vacation is over, you should be noticably improved.
    Good Luck

8. missmybaby

missmybaby Pianissimo User

Sep 27, 2009
    Detroit Metro
    I have taken advantage of Charles Colins' "Advanced Lip Flexibilities" probably more than anything else for range. As a comback player, I am also careful not to yank the horn to get there and also focus A LOT on pedal tones to keep the chops loose. HEAR the pitch before you play... Been working well for me. Long tones and bending tones also help. Take a middle C to B slowly, then repeat but lip the B on the second take without using the valves. Work down chromatically till you get down to the low F# and lipping it to F. This is what my "cool down" usually is comprised of. I've also read "Zen Mind, Beginners Mind" and "The Inner Game of Tennis". Expressiveness above the staff is starting to come along, too.

9. The Kraken

The Kraken Piano User

Mar 28, 2007
    Gold Coast - 805
    Arbans by youg Jedi !! and as everyone will tell you, PRACTICE !!!

When your lips get tired and have that tingling feeling, back off, rest and then hit it again when your rested, each day you do this your endurance and range should increase slightly every day, then one day you will surpise your self.

One Kraken's humble opinion

10. crazyandy88

crazyandy88 Pianissimo User

Nov 3, 2007
    Fayetteville, AR
    As everyone said before...practice. Patience is a BIG part of building your high range. You have to think long term because high range is not achieved over one week or two. Just practice consistently and your range will become consistent. Take simple ├ętudes that are well within your range and take them up a third, when that is completely under control and relaxed...take it up a fifth and keep going. The Concone studies are great for this. Whatever you do...don't go buy a "screamer" mouthpiece to hurry things along. This will only feel easier for a few days and your sound will suffer.