How to play large bore B-flat more effectively?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by mchs3d, Feb 9, 2010.

1. mchs3d

mchs3d Mezzo Forte User

Sep 30, 2005
    Provo, UT
    Hi guys, recently I purchased a Bach 72 Large Bore B-flat horn. I enjoy the sound it makes, as well as many other features. However, I find that when I play this horn, I end up getting a lot more throat tension/restriction than usual. I attribute that probably to the large bore size, although I'm not positive. I have been finding that endurance in the upper-register is tough. In fact, I find it hard to make it all the way through a Charlier study (2, 5), which is a little odd for me. Today I was experimenting and I found that using more air helps somewhat. I know this is probably obvious, but I was wondering who has had experience playing large bore b-flat horns more effectively.

Thanks,
    Austin

P.S. - Mouthpiece is Bach 3C #26 Throat

2. Big Daddy

Big Daddy Mezzo Piano User

Mar 22, 2009
    Los Angeles, CA
    Replying so I can also get updates from this thread because I also have a Bach Large Bore Trumpet.

3. stumac

stumac Fortissimo User

Oct 19, 2008
    Flinders Vic Australia
    A large bore horn may require more air and have a different feel to the blow and will probably need some time to get used to it. I played a Selmer B700 large bore for 20 years, put it away 18 months ago when I got a new ml bore horn, the other day I pulled it out for a blow and it felt as though it was sucking my insides out.

My advice is stick with it, may take a little while to get used to the blow.

Regards, Stuart.

4. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    The large bore does not necessarily have anything to do with the blow. You do not need to do ANYTHING differently. Your breathing should be bigger even on instruments with more resistance - regardless of bore.

Your Bach large bore has exactly the same valve cluster as the medium large bore instruments (I measured them). The leadpipe and tuning slide is different. The bell bore where it comes out of the valves is also smaller than the leadpipe where it enters the valves.

Bore is a number that is easy to understand, but associated with so much BS that we will never be able to destroy the myths.

5. veery715

veery715 Utimate User

Mar 6, 2007
    Ithaca NY
    Would a different mouthpiece alleviate your problem? If the bigger bore horn seems to have less resistance, then perhaps a mouthpiece with more resistance would help. It appears there are two schools of thought - that of compensating a larger bore horn with a tighter throat/backbore mouthpiece, or that of matching the larger bore with a mouthpiece of more "openess".

Brian (shofarguy) in writing about his experience with the Wild Thing, says he prefers an open mp to match it.

I recently bought a used WT and was not happy with my B6L Monette on it, moving instead to a Curry 3B or a Vachiano 2C - but that really is more about enabling the broadness of the sound of the WT and not a resistance issue. The WT does, however, feel easier to blow with the #2 slide, which has a bore reduction to .460 and adds a bit of resistance to the .470 bore instrument. So perhaps a tighter aftermarket tuning slide would make the LB Bach more blower-friendly.

veery

6. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    Easy stuff! Blow in the horn so that the resistance is felt about one-half the bell diameter from the bell. Works almost always, and doesn't mess our heads up too much!

7. missmybaby

missmybaby Pianissimo User

Sep 27, 2009
    Detroit Metro
    As long as I feel feedback at the valve cluster, I know it's singing. L, ML whatever. Perhaps I am insane, also. Ya never know.

8. Pedal C

Pedal C Mezzo Forte User

Jan 24, 2005
    Inside or outside the bell?

9. B15M

B15M Forte User

Dec 30, 2003
    Monroe Ct.
    I don't understand this at all.

Don't let the bore size bother you. When you play just relax and play. It should use just about the same amount of air as talking. It sounds to me like your trying to force it. Trying to fill the horn with air. Don't do that.

Think of it like this, you bought a new radio and now the volume control goes to 12 instead of 10. You can still listen at 5. Just relax and play. Don't try using the extra until you get used to the trumpet and then be glad it's there when you need it.

10. ComeBackKid

ComeBackKid Fortissimo User

May 11, 2009
    Yorba Linda, CA
    Huh??:shock:
    Here I thought that I was getting things pretty well nailed down - breathing, lip slurs, cup mutes, alternate fingering, pucker emboucher, triple-tonguing, dotted half-rests...and now, something new to figure out!!

Will the madness never end?????:shhh: