How to play large bore B-flat more effectively?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by mchs3d, Feb 9, 2010.

1. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    This is the answer! Listen at 5. As a matter of fact, forget the at 5 part. Just LISTEN and you will figure out where to go. The argument when your mom says that your music is too loud and you say "I only had it turned up to 5" doesn't work there either!

2. ewetho

ewetho Piano User

Jun 24, 2007
    Kankakee, IL
    If you enjoy the sound great. Problem one solved.

Problem two is just that the horn is different and you have to relearn where things are. Your pitches have moved just a bit and you are over compensating at this time. Relax and let the horn come to you. Keep working and see how it feels in a bout 2 weeks. Should be like home again.

I am playing a .464 Kanstul 1001 and have played the CG's as well as other stuff in the .470 neighborhood. Really not that bad. Lack of good air support may punished s bit more than you used to too.

Give it a couple weeks before freaking out. You will gel.

3. bobharry0

bobharry0 New Friend

Sep 23, 2009
    new york
    The diff between a Bach ML and L is only 3mm. It's your mouth and tongue that make the diff. The bigger the bore use a shallow mouthpiece and go for the bright Harry James sound not the dark flat brassy sound that lousy weak players think is soo great, I play 468 470 and a Maynard 484 bore with a shallow mouthpiece and i don't need a microphone like Wynton needs. Good luck all

4. Big Daddy

Big Daddy Mezzo Piano User

Mar 22, 2009
    Los Angeles, CA
    "Dark flat brassy sound that lousy weak players think is soo great?" Could you please explain more about this comment and to whom you are referring to that plays that way?

5. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    No, the difference is .003 of an inch - the difference between .459 and .462. That's 3/1000ths of an inch, not 3 mm, which is considerably larger.

I just love this forum sometimes.

Bore size with trumpet is only one factor in determining how a horn blows. An even bigger consideration (IMO) is the gap in the receiver - that has a HUGE impact on how a horn blows and can make an big difference between two horns that are otherwise the same make and model. Another thing to consider are the nodal points and how they are affected by the bracing. Ken Larson's trumpets are prime examples of this - move a brace 3/8th of an inch and the "blow" changes - the focus and resistance changes and makes the horn feel different.

6. Dale Proctor

Dale Proctor Utimate User

Jul 20, 2006
    Heart of Dixie
    Three thousandths of an inch, not three millimeters.

7. trumpetup

trumpetup Piano User

Jan 12, 2009
    Godley, Texas
    Harry James has a great sound. There's nothing wrong with wanting to sound like him. I also like a dark rich sound like Wynton. It depends on the song and the player. But if you ever want to record music you will need a microphone like Wynton needs.
    -Bobby

8. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    You are damn right that Wynton needs a microphone. It is tough to get music on to a CD or YouTube without one! I for one am very glad that we have as much music as we do from his ventures with microphones!

If you think that Wynton needs a mic to get HIS sound, you are pretty naive. I have heard him often enough in club settings without amplification. It is all there. If you think that some horn/mouthpiece combo will let YOU do things that Wynton can't, I'd say listen a bit more. You missed something important along the way.

Your idea of big bore trumpets needing shallower mouthpieces also shows little experience. There is no correlation between horn bore and mouthpiece size. I use a Monette B2D on my large bore Prana and Bach CL, medium bore rotary, ML bore D/Eb and G trumpets. A shallower mouthpiece does not fit my sound concept for a lot of what I play. I do use a smaller mouthpiece for lead.

9. Dave Hughes

Dave Hughes Mezzo Forte User

Oct 19, 2010
    Rochester, NY
    I actually have a question here. What I'm hearing is that large bore really makes no difference in sound?

10. Bochawa!!!

Bochawa!!! Forte User

Nov 4, 2007
    Canada
    When I play my 28B Concert Grand .485 It feels great and sounds amazing . . for half an hour and then I'm done. I can't play it anymore and have to go back to my 2B .458. Is this normal?

1925 CONN 28B
    [​IMG]