How to play large bore B-flat more effectively?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by mchs3d, Feb 9, 2010.

1. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    I would tend to think that the size, weight, material and shape/flare of the bell probably has more to do with the sound than the bore - to me, bore is only about the blow, and even then, it's not THE determining factor, because then you have the mouthpiece/leadpipe combination to consider, as well as the player.

2. The Weez

The Weez Piano User

Dec 23, 2008
    Wichita, KS
    Sounds like a problem that some hours put into long tones would fix. As rowuk said, use your ears and just let the sound flow.

3. bumblebee

bumblebee Fortissimo User

Jan 21, 2010
    Great Southern Land
    Could you point me to an example of this? I'm now wondering if I'm in the "lousy weak" category now, since I tend to like a darker tone...

--bumblebee

4. bobharry0

bobharry0 New Friend

Sep 23, 2009
    new york
    Dave, i.m not a trumpet teacher but i play large bore trumpets because i have the ability to do so. I studied with Jerry Callet for years.He helped me to use my mouth correctly with the correct mouthpieces. I prefer older and hand made trumpets not the mass produced crap they make today. Yes I have a couple of ML bores like a Mt. Verron Bach and two # 25 Selmers and a st 305 banana Holton plus a Olds opera 468 bore. I can only tell you that not all players can play a trumpet correctly much less last on a large bore horn. First comes your mouth in the right way you blow, 2nd comes the right mouthpieces to aide you. It is better to practice 10 minutes correctly than hours incorrectly. Good luck BOB

5. bobharry0

bobharry0 New Friend

Sep 23, 2009
    new york
    I think you might be brain washed into thinking that boring "dark' sound is pleasant to the ear. Think of it as fine crystal ringing and listen real hard to the bright popping sound of HJ Listen several times. You have two ears and one mouth. You can learn little from anyone who teaches wrong. What is the position of your mouth and jaw when playing? I hope it makes sense to you if not enjoy your "dark" sound.

6. trumpetman41

trumpetman41 Pianissimo User

Feb 17, 2009
    Omaha, NE
    I agree with Woruk. Bore size has nothing to do with playing ability. I use a 470 bore and sometimes a Getzen 458 bore. Can't tell much difference. Learn to relax. It sounds like you are trying way to hard.... Less pressure,baby.....

7. bumblebee

bumblebee Fortissimo User

Jan 21, 2010
    Great Southern Land
    This is what I'm calling "dark" -- or at least darker than some...

YouTube - Doc Severinsen - A Song For You

compared to something less dark:

YouTube - Harry James & Jerry Lewis juntos em 1961

Both pretty pleasant, yes?

--bumblebee

8. trumpetnick

trumpetnick Fortissimo User

Nov 16, 2005
    Vidin, Bulgaria
    BB,

This has more to do with phrasing and dynamics than with pure sound colour and frequencies. I wonder what takes Rowuk so long to make his usual comment about that...

9. ZeuSter

ZeuSter Pianissimo User

May 22, 2004

ROWUK is exactly right , a large bore (.465,.468 ,.470, .472) does not mean you have "blow more air". it is more about having an efficient embouchure and good breath control. I think that the folks that say that they tire more easily on a large bore really don't have the correct understanding of the aforementioned concepts, I have and play daily the following horns Leblanc 707 Sonic (.453 ), a Holton ST 308 (.459), a Holton ST307 9 (.468) and an old Bach 43 LT (.459) and I really don't have to blow more for the .468 or less for the .453

10. EL_JMAN

EL_JMAN Pianissimo User

Sep 14, 2010
    So Cal (San Diego)
    I just went from a ml bore horn to a lg bore one. And to me, there is a slight diffrance. I feel that the large bore is more "free-er" that a ml horn. I go back and play my ml horn, and I do feel a little resistances, especially with the higher notes. Also the mouthpiece changes the feel of it too. I play on a bach megatone 3c on the lg bore horn and it feel free blowing, but when I stick my parduba in it, it gives me some resistance...

I guess you just have to get used to the horn. do a bunch of exersices, long notes. going from soft to loud ect ect. in time youll get used to it.