How to play large bore B-flat more effectively?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by mchs3d, Feb 9, 2010.

1. Big Daddy

Big Daddy Mezzo Piano User

Mar 22, 2009
    Los Angeles, CA
    Hey Bumblebee, our question to bobharry0 still hasn't been answered. For one with such a strong opinion on dark sound and it's players.

2. bumblebee

bumblebee Fortissimo User

Jan 21, 2010
    Great Southern Land
    Did you mean "our" or "your"? I don't quite understand what bobharry0 was getting at, but would like to -- could mean I have a gap in my understanding what folks call "dark". I have mentioned before that in such places as TM we are forced to describe sound using words/language which involves some personal interpretation.

But to be fair to the OP, this feels a little like a thread hijack... mchs3d -- I would agree with Rowuk that the bore size does not necessarily give you a different blow. I have two trumpets with the same ML bore and one blows more freely than the other. I playtested a large bore trumpet once and didn't feel anything remarkably different between that and my own trumpets either (though I didn't spend long trying it).

--bumblebee

3. Dale Proctor

Dale Proctor Utimate User

Jul 20, 2006
    Heart of Dixie
    I think the main difference between a large and small bore horn (everything else equal) is that you can play a little louder on the large bore...you can move a little more air through it and get more amplitude from the standing wave.

4. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    I never said that there was no difference between a ML and a large bore horn. I just said that the differences were not due to the bore. The designer makes other decisions when building a different trumpet model. Where the braces go, thickness of the metal, what metal, shape of the bell, shape of the leadpipe, the radius on slides, if the bell is tempered or annealed. If we measure the total quantity of air in the horn, only a small part is in the valve cluster that has the measured bore!

The most free blowing horn that I ever tried was a Flip Oakes Wild Thing. It has a HUGE bore. The second freeest blowing is a Bach Vindabona which is a medium bore horn. One of the stiffest horns that I ever played was a Bach 25 large bore Bb. My Bach 229H CL is also not the free-est blowing horn. There is simply no correlation between blow and bore. The trumpet designer has so many parameters to play with.

5. bumblebee

Jan 21, 2010
    Great Southern Land
    Okay, then returning to the original post:

The OP mentioned that he has some physical challenges with the Bach 72 large bore, and is tentatively proposing this is due to the bore size rather than some other aspect(s) of the horn. As has been pointed out this need not be the case and that the issues could arise from anywhere between the brain of the player through to the flare of the bell. Wherever the problem point(s) is/are, the OP wants to recover his endurance and reduce throat tension.

mchs3d - have you checked that you do not have these reported problems with your Selmer trumpet, using the same mouthpiece? Have you given your Bach 72 to another player who's trumpet is similar to your Selmer, to test their response to it? If they are an accomplished player who can get on with the Bach 72 large bore, ask them if they do anything different between playing their other horn and the 72. When you chose the Bach 72 in the first place had you found these problems (and thought you could adjust to them), or did they develop over some time?

I have a few ideas about playing which I think might be affecting you, but I would say your teacher (if you have one) would be in a better spot to advise if you ask them to watch you play -- check your posture, whether you're blowing the air rather than releasing it, where you are supporting your breath from etc.

--bumblebee

6. Big Daddy

Big Daddy Mezzo Piano User

Mar 22, 2009
    Los Angeles, CA
    Just wanted to know what dark players he was referring to. I'm not trying to hijack this thread but when you make a comment as bobharry0 made he should clarify who he is referring to.

7. bumblebee

Jan 21, 2010
    Great Southern Land
    Yep - agree, and that would help! (and I meant that my pursuing this question was me hijacking the thread, not you, by the way)

--bumblebee