How to play softly with a full tank of air...WHEW!!

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Tarter_trpt8, Sep 8, 2005.

1. Tarter_trpt8

Tarter_trpt8 Pianissimo User

Jan 17, 2005
    St. Paul, MN
    Hey Manny,

I'm preparing for an Air Force Band audition in California at the end of this month. One of the pieces that I'm having more trouble with than anything is Outdoor Overture. It's not insanely challenging for me but I do have trouble with playing it as soft as I need to. Here is the scenario and why I struggle with it. I try my best to take in as much air (as relaxed as possible) as I can before I play ANYTHING and then just let it out. But the problem with that for me is taking a full breathe and still play softly without pinching. There is so much air in my lungs at that point, I just want to let it out like a balloon without overblowing or playing to loudly. Does that make sense?? I find playing softly while relaxing is the hardest because of all the built up air I want to let out. Hopefully that made sense. What can I do and what am I doing wrong?

Jeremy Tarter

2. Manny Laureano

Manny Laureano Utimate User

Sep 29, 2004
    USA
    On a practical level, I don't think you have to have to play as softly as you may be attempting. It is a solo and it needs that open cantabile sound that makes it, well, outdoorsy. Don't mean to get all technical on you.

You're also likely really tightening your gut again as we've discussed before so let's remember to keep things in motion with as little sense of stasis as possible. remember, support is a pheneomen of motion not staic tightness. Think of a bellows sucking air in and blowing it out.

ML