How to play the bugle in the (American) Navy

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Vulgano Brother, Aug 10, 2011.

1. operagost

operagost Forte User

Jan 25, 2009
    Spring City, PA, USA
    Better learn those first. :lol:

2. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    These are fun as well: Jagdhorn Noten und Signale
    You can assemble the hunters, call the dogs, signal emergencies, call a wagon, give directions and announce the animal killed. These come from Switzerland, so it doesn't include the signals for "dead seal" and such found in Germany.

At the feast after the hunt, the horn players would replay the calls used--lots of tunes to memorize, but no fingerings to memorize!

3. flugelgirl

flugelgirl Forte User

Jan 20, 2008
    Seattle, WA
    That's the old, historical version, but we still do have a manual for buglers. It has not only all the calls you might need, but pictures of how you hold your horn, and descriptions of what to do when. Since we no longer use bugles in the fleet, everything is for Bb trumpet, and since we only use Navy Musicians as buglers, it's written for musicians and not the beginner. :)

4. Aydn

Aydn Pianissimo User

Jun 13, 2011
    Sunny South Florida
    THats so cool!!!! My son wants to be the bugler In his boy scout troop. I can't wait to show him this manual.
    They took my pink icon away:-(
    Aydn

5. craigph

craigph Piano User

Mar 12, 2010
    Japan
    I liked this line from the manual:
    "Do not strain to reach the G in these long tone exercises. If the muscles of your lips are ready you will be able to sound it without difficulty."