How to play the cornet

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by SAcornetist, Oct 23, 2015.

1. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    John Phillip Sousa didn't like trumpets in his own bands and he has been acclaimed to have had perfect pitch. Mostly, I've been told the bell only develops the amplification and timbre of the sound.

2. BernArt

BernArt Pianissimo User

Dec 31, 2013
    Merida, Mexico
    In my personal experience, (some ideas from a "different angle") I really believe that some singing and choir experience can really help to understand better how to aproach cornet playing and to "understand" better the instrument by itself, keeping always in mind the origins, evolution, history and the whole background of cornets, which seems to be independent from the one of trumpets. Cornets can make wonders used in Renaissance brass ensambles, playing the "cornetto" parts and, really blend sweetly well with tenor and bass trombones. Cornets also seem to blend naturally well with the human voice. Each time I take my cornet to practice or play I really feel how, in a misterious way, is more "natural" to me, my personality, favorite sounds and sound production than trumpet playing. I play usually trumpet because of work, gigs, wedding ceremonies, and other similar situations.... Cornet playing is aside. Something probably more intimate and personal in my case. I would wish to have here more oportunities to work with the cornet instead of the trumpet. Cornets and trumpets... Two totally different worlds. Best regards
    BernArt

3. Franklin D

Franklin D Forte User

May 23, 2009
    The Netherlands
    Once I was involved in a similar discussion about the flugelhorn. My opinion was and is that it is a different instrument compared to the trumpet and needs a different treatment. I got of course all the mud:

Best flugelhorn - View topic: Trumpet Herald forum

The noise ended with a very wise comment of the great Arturo himself:

Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2015 9:52 am Post subject: Reply with quote
    https://youtu.be/r4ZrZqk-RH0
    Flugelhorn: is not just a "larger" trumpet, it's a different animal, and should be treated and approached completely different.
    Best wishes to all!!!

The same can be said, so maybe in a somewhat lesser degree, of the cornet. The BBB boys and girls treat the cornet as from another planet, some jazz guys likle Nat Adderley and Warren Vache use the cornet as a maybe more flexible trumpet, others are somewhere in between:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kQRh4bL-tU4

4. Reedman1

Reedman1 Piano User

Sep 5, 2013
    NY, USA
    With my short history of studying cornet and trumpet, and my considerably longer history of playing reeds, I find cornet and trumpet to be different but equal — and not that different. But also, I am not English, and don't play in a brass band, so if there's a fight here, I don't have a dog in it. As a jazz player, however, I am discovering that I prefer cornet sometimes, particularly on darker ballads. Cornet also seems livelier to me for early jazz and hot jazz (now there's a distinction for you.) I guess you can play what you're asked to play, play what tradition dictates, or play what you like. It's all kind of a tempest in a rather tranquil teapot to me.