How to play trumpet like this?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by DiaxII, Feb 16, 2013.

1. trumpetup

trumpetup Piano User

Jan 12, 2009
    Godley, Texas
    Wow! What a great band.
    Bobby

2. edfitzvb

edfitzvb Forte User

Jun 10, 2008
    Woodlawn, VA
    I'm with VB. The video shoot was staged and I suspect that the music had already been recorded. HOWEVER she does appear to be almost effortless in her playing. many of the better players that I see in pit orchestras play this way also. I think many of us have been conditioned to believe that it takes effort from watching Louis, Doc, Maynard, and others who are "front men" and entertainers as much as players. They are creating a show. It is entertainment, not a necessary step in correctly playing the instrument.

rettepnoj likes this.
  3. rettepnoj

rettepnoj Fortissimo User

Feb 22, 2009
    Norway
    Playback or not, that's how she plays. I have seen her live at least 20 times and I still can't believe how relaxed she is.

OBS: Since all the people on this site are completely trumpet nerds and only look at gear and chops, I can tell you that she is pretty hot too. I guess this is what happens - The Invisible Gorilla: And Other Ways Our Intuitions Deceive Us

4. J. Jericho

J. Jericho Fortissimo User

Mar 16, 2011
    FWIW: Chris Botti has a relaxed embouchure, too - no contortions whatsoever.

5. rettepnoj

rettepnoj Fortissimo User

Feb 22, 2009
    Norway
    I think Bustedchops here on TM studies, or at least is a very big fan of Botti. He can probably tell us more about his embouchure :whistle:

6. J. Jericho

Mar 16, 2011
    You of course refer to THE THREAD THAT WILL NOT DIE.

rettepnoj likes this.
  7. Bwanabass

Bwanabass Mezzo Piano User

Jan 20, 2013
    Syracuse, NY
    You mean... the thread whose name must never be spoken?

By the way, the band in the second video was great, and I was particularly fond of the rhythm section work. Go bass!

rettepnoj likes this.
  8. Sharvey

Sharvey Pianissimo User

Dec 25, 2012
    Australia
    I have a couple of recordings of Tine Thing. Her playing is beautiful. She has as sound that aspire to. Now that I have seen her playing I can also admire her elegance.

9. J. Jericho

Mar 16, 2011
    That's the one.

10. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Oh good, for a minute there I was thinking you were talking about Chris Botti! Whew, that's a relief!:oops: