How to practice excerpts?

Discussion in 'Orchestra / Solo / Chamber Music' started by Tarter_trpt8, Jan 17, 2005.

1. Tarter_trpt8

Tarter_trpt8 Pianissimo User

Jan 17, 2005
    St. Paul, MN
    Hey Manny...

First of all, my name is Jeremy Tarter. I go to Northwestern College here in the cities and I study at the school with Phil Norris (I'm pretty sure you know him cause he's playing with yall in March). Anyways, I transfered here this last Fall of '04, and since arriving, I've heard you play and I have to say, you caught my ear and I love your playing to death. I heard about you before I moved up here from Tom Booth down in Dallas (Dallas Symphony, and Teacher at SMU). I studied with him in High School and asked him about teachers up here and he told me you were a monster player and he was right! I haven't quite got around to getting a hold of you for a possible lesson but I'll try in the near future, if your time permits.

Anyways, I'm preparing for an audition CD for a camp this summer and was going to ask you if you have a particular way of practicing excerpts; either for an audition or just for bettering you playing? I basically will run through the excerpts, then listen to them (Phil Smith CD), then play the parts that I struggle most with. The problem I have though is that I will just play through the tough parts, especially the loud stuff, and just tire out because I want to learn it so bad, and hate quiting until it's right. Any suggestions? Tips?

Thanks a lot!

Jeremy

P.S. I'm auditioning for your masterclass on the 29th, and look forward to meeting you in person...

2. Manny Laureano

Manny Laureano Utimate User

Sep 29, 2004
    USA
    "Hey Manny...

"Anyways, I'm preparing for an audition CD for a camp this summer and was going to ask you if you have a particular way of practicing excerpts; either for an audition or just for bettering you playing? I basically will run through the excerpts, then listen to them (Phil Smith CD), then play the parts that I struggle most with. The problem I have though is that I will just play through the tough parts, especially the loud stuff, and just tire out because I want to learn it so bad, and hate quitting until it's right. Any suggestions? Tips?"

dear Jeremy,

What was it Ernest Williams used to say? "The student must teach his head to save his lip."

Good advice.

May I say that the practice of excerpts is highly overrated? Oh, I suppose I just did. The majority of the practice that I did when I was getting ready to be in the trumpet-playing world was more about etudes and standard solos than excerpts. A ton of transposition, Charlier,Arban's, St. Jacome's, Top Tones, and piccolo solos, that's how I filled my day. I played plenty of excerpts but Vacchiano didn't let us touch those until my junior year. Yes, you read that right. Most etudes are so much more difficult than excerpts!

How's your piano and pianissimo playing? Have you worked on Arban's no. 2 pianissimo? It sounds like you go to a lot of concerts. Good. You know how varied the playing I have to do. The bang-bang stuff is fun but it won't get you the gig if you let it wear you out. You have to balance what you do like a good meal. Meat, starch, veggies, salad, something to drink... too much of anything... well, you know. Save the dessert for when you can enjoy it. Don't eat a banana split right after a porterhouse steak (if at all). You need some time after a big meal like that.

Just sounds like you have to exercise some restraint and common sense. Listen to your lip.

ML