How to practice for high notes?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by keigoh, Oct 28, 2012.

1. keigoh

keigoh Pianissimo User

Oct 24, 2012
    Tokyo
    I know that in order to play high notes, you need faster air, strong embouchure, and better support.
    What are some exercises that I could do to train myself these things?

2. rettepnoj

rettepnoj Fortissimo User

Feb 22, 2009
    Norway
    Caruso Musical Calisthenics for Brass

3. Peter McNeill

Peter McNeill Utimate User

Jan 30, 2009
    Melbourne Australia
  4. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    long tones on all scales, in the staff and above (also resting your chops in between reps) -- also, when you do a difficult chop strengthening day, then do an easy restful day so the chops recoup a bit, (that is heal, and rest, and strengthen them)

5. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    It's just me I guess, I just don't need or want to play higher than the music is written to play. If it is way up there, I've a very nice piccolo trumpet.

6. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Chromatic ascension is a tried and true method and it's simple.

7. DaTrump

DaTrump Forte User

Oct 21, 2011
    Huntsville, Texas
    I'm a fan of using false fingerings on top of everything else mentioned.

8. graysono

graysono Mezzo Forte User

Jan 22, 2007
    Hyde Park, Utah
    What he said, but also: In Frink and McNeill (Flexus) they suggest an exercise that has helped me. Select an easy starting note, say G in staff. Bend the G without changing the fingering over two bars, such as G (half note), G quarter note, F# quarter note (reached by relaxing the chops without changing the fingering), then tightening back to G for a whole bar searching for the best centering possible--no tighter. Rest one bar. Proceed chromatically upward repeating this two bar sequence. When your sound breaks, stop. As you strengthen, you can start the exercise on a higher note, e.g., the G on top of the staff. As in Peter's prior advice, what is important is not to overdo this. That is, once a day and to put a day between doing this one. Also, the warmdown advice is great--a chance to practice slurring down to pedal tones. Have fun. Don't expect this to work in a day. It'll take months, if not years. Progress is one stronger, higher note than your current repertoire contains.:-)

9. Mamboman

Mamboman Pianissimo User

Dec 28, 2011
    NSW Australia
    Are false fingerings a good or a bad thing to use? Any experience

10. DaTrump

DaTrump Forte User

Oct 21, 2011
    Huntsville, Texas

I only use them when practicing high notes and when the note in question is very out of tune.