How to practice for high notes?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by keigoh, Oct 28, 2012.

1. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    How about [(v x air) x P(muscle) x nRT] x [(v x air) x P(muscle) x nRT]; which in your case is pi squared

The answer is NO. There is no formula, there is no exercise. It takes practice, good use of trumpet dynamics, and years of experience to develop this.

2. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    This depends on what you are using them for. They do have their perpose to get you more smoothly through intricate runs, or to assist on intonation needs in the high range... or to drive your buddy sharing the same chair as you crazy when you notice s/he is staring at you trying to copy your technique without asking permission.

3. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    I can't believe this -- I just responded to another thread, indicating I wanted to emulate the famous Jazz player GM, and that was part of my pursuit of high range --- and LOOK, here you are on a different thread --- TELLING ME THAT IT IS YEARS OF EXPERIENCE that separates us!! --- at least I hold the trumpet, play it, and sound comes out ----- YES GM, ole buddy ole pal ----- I am catching you!!! ROFL ROFL ROFL

4. edfitzvb

edfitzvb Forte User

Jun 10, 2008
    Woodlawn, VA
    If I may interject, if the note speaks it is not a false fingering, it is an alternate fingering

5. fraserhutch

fraserhutch Mezzo Piano User

Jan 23, 2004
    Novato, CA, USA
    They helped me when I was learning first where the notes lay. Playing notes with false fingerings ('alternate' for the purists....) will often alter the feel of a note. This helped me greatly when it came to learning how to play the F about high C which has always given me fits, and the double C. I used 1&3 for the former and 2%3 for the latter to learn how to slot them. Now I can play them with standard fingering (not that I have an everyday double C......, only in a practice room one).

6. ultratrumpet

ultratrumpet Piano User

Jul 10, 2009
    Old Lyme, Connecticut
    Take a look:
    http://www.latorremusic.com
    find "Building Power in the Upper Register on Trumpet"
    advance studies:
    "You Can Scream With Endurance To Spare On Trumpet"
    "The Knevitt-Cimera Method for Developing the Upper Register on Trumpet" w/ audio mp3
    and under Bill's recordings: "Screech With The Best Of Them" mp3 download

The preferred fingerings always, unless something unusual is happening. Like a inferior (fagazy) horn or trying to overcome a plateau / sticking points - (shortening and lengthening the horn).

Last edited: Feb 20, 2013
    Peter McNeill likes this.
  7. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Yep I know that and you got me running like heck to try to stay ahead. I am up to a double high E now, so good luck and by the better young lion win. Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.

8. Mark_Kindy

Mark_Kindy Mezzo Forte User

Jul 11, 2010
    Gainesville, FL
    Lip bends help. Pend a pitch down a half step and back up. Proceed chromatically downwards.

I'm with KT...good old (soft/semi soft) long tones do a pretty good job. I'd also suggest melodic passages transposed a (major) third or higher up from normal, since that helped me (I think Maynard Ferguson is the one that suggests this), because it helps keep your airflow going.

9. keigoh

keigoh Pianissimo User

Oct 24, 2012
    Tokyo
  10. trumpeterjake

trumpeterjake Pianissimo User

Aug 5, 2012
    Connersville, Indiana
    The most success I have had with working on the high register came from when I really wasn't at all. I naturally picked up notes as I went through my practices, working on my overal playing and not just on high notes. I've seen a video on youtube with Maynard talking about raising your center note or something. Maybe you should check that out to!