How to practice for high notes?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by keigoh, Oct 28, 2012.

1. dorkdog

dorkdog Pianissimo User

Oct 14, 2012
    Pencil-Tucky
    I push a little higher every time I play

2. entrancing1

entrancing1 Mezzo Piano User

Feb 16, 2010
    Buffalo, NY
    Are they false fingerings or alternate fingerings?

3. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    I've always heard the term "Alternate" fingerings.

4. jsimpher

jsimpher New Friend

Aug 10, 2008
    I have had substantial success with the Walt Johnson method. If you can find it, the book Double high-c in ten minutes" covers this method rather well. I also use some range builders I got from John Harner. You could probably email him and get them. The thing that I love about this method is the fact that it helps you set up multiple embouchures. Which is great for being a gigging musician. In a matter of a year I have gone from a squeaky weak high F to a strong double Bb (on a good night). You can also do what I did and use the YouTube method. Be patient and don't give up. It is a gradual process that takes commitment. And good luck!

5. Comeback

Comeback Forte User

Jun 22, 2011
    Fort Wayne, IN
    What's the big deal?

keigoh,

I've been following your thread with interest. I am a comebacker, and you may already have far more skill/range than me. Also, you have received great input from good players. However, I would like to make some observations based upon decades old experience and now nearly 17 months of comeback effort. My remarks are predicated upon you having equipment issues sorted out.

First, I believe any note played at any volume requires good air support and a strong embouchure if notes are to be played pleasingly and for very long. Second, I think I have learned that the more "special" I consider my upper register efforts to be, the less likely I am to play high notes well. Notes should simply be notes, it seems to me, and serious players should always be trying to acquire more, along with the skill to use them well. How should you practice high notes? Is it particularly ignorant or radical for me to suggest that you practice them just like any others?

Jim

6. watchguy44

watchguy44 Pianissimo User

Jul 10, 2010
    Illinois
    Funny thing here, while in high-school, being able to play most of the music an octave above was a treasured talent...but that was in marching band. Jazz band was another beast, and if you couldn't hit a G above staff, you just didn't play up there.
    As I look back on those days, I now know that one sure fire way to strengthen the embouchure was to get used to playing above staff and working your way up a little at a time. All of the information preceding my ramblings are good things to go by, and my favorite word to use on anyone who asks "how too" is ........."PRACTICE" have patience, and never think its so important to be able to play in the stratosphere, its not too important at all. Tone quality and technique are always a priority first. IMO. Those above staff notes will come with practice, practice, practice.

7. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    not arguing with your success, or your choice of methods --- I suppose my method is taking longer, but I am trying to use pretty much one aperture setting, and keeping the flexibility and range building on that one aperture/embouchure setting. In this way, I can pop out octave leaps up to the top of my range, which currently is hanging out about the high F/G area. I can squeak/weak higher stuff, but it is cool to pop out a low C, or a low G and then "octave up" as I say the other 2 C's, or 2 G's I have in the bag (somedays a 3rd G)--- and stuff like that on the same setting.
    I'm just saying, that's all!!
    just play and be happy!!!

8. dorkdog

dorkdog Pianissimo User

Oct 14, 2012
    Pencil-Tucky
    Interesting event this morning - I got up super early and was able to come out here and practice without a mute for the first time in a couple of weeks...

WOW! Now, remember, I'm a noob who has not been able to get out of the staff - middle C was the highest note I could squeak out when I first started playing, and over a month or so I was able to squeak out a C# and finally a D reliably, but E, F, G.... the best I could do was sort of, uh, fart them out. No tone, no holding the note, no opportunity to intonate - just a 'beep'-

Now, this morning, I take off the mute and it's like all hell broke loose. I can reach middle C, D, E, and F without error, slurring up and down to and from them, and can even squeak out a G which I have never done before (the G at the top of the staff mind you but still - for me it's progress)

So - did the removal of the mute change something? Why did my range increase when I pulled it out and will it last? I'm not complaining - it's nice to be able to play songs with more than an octave of range for a change!

9. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Practicing against resistance does build muscle if done in a safe, effective way.

10. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    now, let me go find those articles on TM - where people say ----- high notes/range/endurance ------ WE AREN'T WEIGHTLIFTERS AND IF YOU WANT SIX PACK CHOPS, your doing it wrong!!!!!!!!!!!

sorry dorkdog ---for my tangent, but if it is working for you ----I suggest you keep up your own practice regimen --- and play and be happy!!!