How to Practice Reducing Pressure when playing while mouthpiece buzzing.

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Patric_Bernard, Jan 15, 2008.

1. randallged

randallged New Friend

Dec 21, 2007
    I'm new to this site and think this is great. I too am getting back into seriously playing after years of tinkering. My reason for buzzing with light pressure is to provide a workout for my facial muscles. Being able to buzz with light pressure causes me to exaggerate my lip "pursing" and the seal around the mpc. I use a neck style harmonica holder to hold the mpc. I have the wingnuts facing left so when I push too hard they loosen. The holder also aligns the mpc in a position to keep my chin up for proper airflow through my throat.

2. EdMann

EdMann Mezzo Forte User

Sep 20, 2007
    Los Angeles
  3. jazz9

jazz9 Piano User

Dec 5, 2007
    Chilhowie, VA
    Get up to about a Double G, I am forcing it into my face, and to the C its just as hard as i can.- patric

I just don't get how all of you can play so high. Have you just been playing a long time and it came, or do you practice high notes all the time? I just wish I could play that high. I have been playing for 6 years, but only seriously for 4 of them, and all I can get consistently is E above high C. I have gotten a double G and squirted an A, but that's about it, and I can't play them regularly. Is there some sort of practice routine or secret that I missed?

4. stchasking

stchasking Forte User

Jun 11, 2006
    We go through this all the time. Most young players don't know the nomenclature for high C, High G, and Double High C, and Double High G.

This happens so much I let it slide unless the discussion really needs clarification.

5. jazz9

jazz9 Piano User

Dec 5, 2007
    Chilhowie, VA
    We go through this all the time. Most young players don't know the nomenclature for high C, High G, and Double High C, and Double High G.- stchasking

Well, I'm sorry for being a young player, but I'm trying my hardest to learn as much as I can.

6. Patric_Bernard

Patric_Bernard Forte User

Oct 25, 2007
    California

High notes take time to develop. There not just gotta pop out whenever. You need to develop the strength in your chops to be able to play that high.

As for everyone else, thank you so much for your help. I'll have more questions to follow soon i'm sure.

7. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    High notes pop out when you learn to relax. There is nothing that would prevent young chops from working in the stratosphere if everything else were together. The hardest part in learning something as a teenager is the transformation from know-it-all to sponge. It was no different 35 years ago either but that is a story for another thread!

I have two 9 year olds with solid high Cs and am pretty sure that they both will have the F above high C by Easter. They can't read music as fast as they can play, but the basics work. No special embouchure, but some very good breathing and no fear of new things!

8. Patric_Bernard

Patric_Bernard Forte User

Oct 25, 2007
    California
    ...You should be my teacher :D