How to practice

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by PwnageSoul, Oct 15, 2008.

1. DavidLarson

DavidLarson New Friend

Sep 23, 2008
    North Vancouver, Canada
    Here I think I can go commercial- check out my site. The practice recommendations in it are from Chris Robertson's book, and I think they are excellent. He advises taking several practice sessions in a day, practicing for range, strength, sounds. He is an excellent player, coach, and teacher.
    I have always found- practice smart. Pick on the hardest things, and the easier ones get easier. Find out how you practice well. When I went back to University to finally get my B.Mus and B.Ed, I was with a dozen players from the orchestra that I conducted. I had only about 2 hours a day to practice, while they had about 6, and I was determined that I would do my best, and stay ahead of them it I could. I found that I worked best in 3/4 hour segments, and that after that, my results went downhill quite quickly. I would practice 3/4 hour of my alloteed practice time, work on one assignment, work on another assignment, work on maybe another assignment. Then the practice rooms were almost clear, and I could practice another 3/4 hour. Then on to teaching my own students, and back to more studying. I found I could work efficiently for huge periods of time if I just kept to the 3/4 hour figure, and feel fresh and able to concentrate for each one. As I spent more years in school, I was able to make that figure approach 2 hours, but I would always stop when I found I was not doing my best, and go on to something else that needed to be done. I learned the value of practicing things slowly to eliminate mistakes first, and speeding up when I really knew what I was doing, and picking on on small hard thing and solving that, so I always felt that I was improving something in my practice sessions, no matter how whort the time available.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2008
  2. Bob Grier

Bob Grier Forte User

May 4, 2007
    Greensboro, NC
    You've gotten some very good advice posted. You need a daily routine that allows you to hit all the spots you need to in a very short time. AN effecient condensed routine will maintain all your skills with minimum time spent. If you would like some suggestions.

Contact me directly
    Bob Grier
    [email protected]

3. Zlatko

Zlatko New Friend

Apr 26, 2008
    Ajax, Ontario
    Re: How to breathe

Charlie, two points were explained to me by teachers.
    1. Its better to cut a note short to breathe than to start the next note late.
    2. When inhaling do so without raising your shoulders. Expand your belly instead. Raising your shoulders will build tension. While playing your shoulders will move back down, possibly moving your horn and affecting your sound. Your upper body should be relaxed and as still as possible.

4. edcon1981

edcon1981 Mezzo Forte User

Jun 25, 2008
    Central Jersey
    Re: How to breathe

see, that's one thing that i'm having problems with, not breathing from my diaphragm. after 15 years of playing i come to find that i've been breathing wrong this whole time and noone told me until i joined a new band. retraining yourself on breathing is damn near impossible!!

5. Fluffy615

Fluffy615 Piano User

Nov 30, 2006
    New Jersey
    There are different breathing exercises out there that can help. I've recently been teaching my elementary school instrumentalists a simple one. Start counting a moderate tempo and inhale for 4 beats then begin exhaling on 1 of the next measure for 4 beats. When exhaling, blow through your embouchure setting. Then gradually increase the beats for each.
    Bob