How to prep a horn for long term storage ?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by patton45, Jul 14, 2009.

1. patton45

patton45 New Friend

Nov 1, 2008
    It seems my 7th grade son is losing interest in music. How to prep the horn for long term storage? What should I do?

thx - Craig

2. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Wrap it around your childs head? (Sorry, I couldn't resist)

In the 7th grade kids often lose interest in things for reasons like protest against authority, laziness, peer pressure, lack of competitive edge.

Those are all things that parents could deal with - sometimes with the help of the music teacher.

If giving up is all that is left, sell it or:
    Give it a bath, let it dry overnight, oil the valves with a synthetic oil, oil the slides with a light synthetic motor oil (no slide grease, that will "dry" out and stick). Then put it in the case - no plastic bag.

Alternately, trumpets make nice lamps.

3. veery715

veery715 Utimate User

Mar 6, 2007
    Ithaca NY
    I'm with ROWUK. 7th grade is a time for big adaptation - usually a new school and classmates, on the bottom rung instead of the top one in 6th grade. Music can be a wonderful calming and stabilizing activity for someone in that position. Clean it up and keep it handy, don't push music, but have it ready because there is liable to be a change of heart or attitude just around the corner.

This is July! Has school started? Things will change for certain once it does. Meanwhile this is a limbo period. Make sure the child gets lots of outside activity, and make a point of listening (you, not him) to lots of music, and perhaps he will come around. Taking him to concerts is a good idea.

veery

4. patton45

patton45 New Friend

Nov 1, 2008
    He says he is bored by it. When he was in 6th grade band last year, they played some basic stuff and he got lots of half and whole notes. Not something to get really motivated about. In the coming 7th grade he will have concert as well as a jazz lab he auditioned for and got in. One thing that really bugs him is that one of the band classes will be on zero period, or starting at 7am. Mornings and him do not get along at all.
    So from what I can tell is that he is basing music on half and whole notes, which would be boring to me too. His sister plays tenor sax in high school and is very good, so maybe there is a problem there too.
    I was around 11 when I first listened to music. He is sort of getting there but still hates it when his sister turns on the iTunes.

And yes you are right about listening. I usually do all the talking. 11 is a rough age, too many things are happening to him, all at once. I wanted him to play around 20 minutes a day for the last month of summer just so when band starts he won't have sore chops and it won't add to whatever is bugging him about it. Maybe I should just blow off that idea for the rest of the summer?

thx all - Craig

5. ChopsGone

ChopsGone Forte User

Jan 26, 2009
    Northern California
    Jazz band starting at 7:00 AM? That sounds like my granddaughter's school, in which case she can stand having fewer competitors. San Jose Middle School?

6. patton45

patton45 New Friend

Nov 1, 2008
    Albany Middle School, just up the bay from San Jose. With all the budget cuts this year, its a miracle they have any music at all...

Craig

7. ChopsGone

ChopsGone Forte User

Jan 26, 2009
    Northern California
    In that case, encourage him to stick with it. San Jose Middle School is actually in Novato - probably got its name from the old Spanish land grant or something.

8. veery715

veery715 Utimate User

Mar 6, 2007
    Ithaca NY
    I'm just curious. YOU know about whole and half notes. What is your musical endeavor? If none, maybe it would be a good idea to take up something - like trumpet - and give him an example to follow. At that age arm twisting just gets them to dig in their heels.
    Private lessons, if he doesn't have them, are another good way to stimulate his interest. (Maybe you could take them together.)

veery

9. patton45

patton45 New Friend

Nov 1, 2008
    I play saxophone and guitar. He has had weekly lessons for a year now.

10. forrest

forrest Piano User

Aug 14, 2007
    St Louis MO
    As for storage; I clean them well, let air dry, then wrap the slides and each valve separate in microfiber towels and rubber band them up.

Put them in the case with the horn body, and wait for his interest to rekindle.