How to prevent the 3rd valve slide stopper from damaging the horn

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by hhsTrumpet, Jan 29, 2012.

1. hhsTrumpet

hhsTrumpet Piano User

Dec 3, 2011
    California
    I've been noticing that the 3rd valve side stopper creates a small dent on the rim of the slide every time the slide hits the stopper. It of course doesn't affect my playing, but I want to keep my horn in a good condition, so any idea on how to prevent that?

2. DaTrump

DaTrump Forte User

Oct 21, 2011
    Huntsville, Texas
    Take a picture of your 3rd valve slide and stopper mechanism, post it to something like photobucket and put a link in. It will help us better understand the situation

3. Dupac

Dupac Fortissimo User

Aug 19, 2008
    Bordeaux, France.
    I don't see anything like this on my 8335… I guess it's quite invisible, isn't it ?
    However, you could put a very tiny piece of tape on the stopper ?

4. Peter McNeill

Peter McNeill Utimate User

Jan 30, 2009
    Melbourne Australia
    If there is a metal rim, just tie a small rubber band around it to absorb the shock. There are plastic/rubber seals for this as well that are specific for this purpose. You just need to know the OD of the pipe.

5. mrsemman

mrsemman Piano User

Apr 8, 2010
    Massachusetts
    Peter,

I use an elastic band, long enough to loop around the first valve ring and the third valve ring. This keeps the slide from moving too far forward to damage the rim of the third slide. You can also use this without the stopper screw, which would also prevent this from happening.

Gary

6. stumac

stumac Fortissimo User

Oct 19, 2008
    Flinders Vic Australia
    If you can still find it a small piece of bicycle valve rubber over the end of the stop screw. If you want to keep the horn pristine then leave it in the case and not play it. Small marks like this are just a fact of life with use. Just wait until a viola player trips over your stand and knocks it into your bell.

Regards, Stuart.

7. codyb226

codyb226 Banned

Mar 9, 2011
    Florida, US
    What they said, put a rubber stopper on it. Or, you can just not throw your slide out until it hits the stop. Whatever you prefer.....

8. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    o

Last edited: Jan 30, 2012
  9. codyb226

codyb226 Banned

Mar 9, 2011
    Florida, US
    KT, there was a reason that it was there. And there is a tread about it. Look it up.

10. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA

Last edited: Jan 30, 2012