How to prevent the 3rd valve slide stopper from damaging the horn

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by hhsTrumpet, Jan 29, 2012.

1. coolerdave

coolerdave Utimate User

Nov 7, 2009
    San Pedro
    I am sure you can find a small Teflon o-ring / washer to place there if you check around. If the horn is silver rubber will discolor and wear through the silver.

2. hhsTrumpet

hhsTrumpet Piano User

Dec 3, 2011
    California
    isn't o-ring rubber?

3. gzent

gzent Fortissimo User

Nov 5, 2003
    Rochester, MN
    What I used to do on a horn with this issue was to take an old felt from the top valve cap.

I would slowly stretch the size of the hole in the felt until it fit over the slide and then
    position it right up next to the brass stopper ring. So the felt absorbed the shock - no
    metal on metal.

Greg

4. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    The "REAL" solution is to get rid of the offending horn and get a Getzen (old school) with those oh so pretty plastic stops. They even allow you to choose how far out the slide will go with 3 position choices! That's ingenuity! I do "feel your pain" though. My Super Artist has the same issue. I just had to get used to not slinging it out there like I can on my Eternas.

5. J. Jericho

J. Jericho Fortissimo User

Mar 16, 2011
    I would use an o-ring and not worry about it being rubber. Just go to the plumbing department at your local hardware store, get an appropriate diameter/thickness, and slip it ovet the rim of the slide. Or, if your wallet can stand it, an elegant solution would be to have a trigger installed; contact Rich Ita BIW, Inc. if you're interested. Players usually either love them or hate them, so you'll have to decide which category suits you. As for a water key, an Amado will disrupt the tubing the least. Opinions vary about whether even a traditional lever-type water key spout affects the horn enough to matter. Players usually either love them or hate them, so you'll have to decide which category suits you (Where have I read this before?...).

Bach Stradivarius Model 72* trumpet
    Yamaha YFH-731 flugelhorn
    King Opus 7 cornet
    King Cleveland 602 cornet
    Parrot Bb field trumpet
    natural trumpet in key of C (frankenhorn under construction)
    Selmer Bundy tenor trombone
    shofar
    Gemeinhardt C flute

"There are two sides to a trumpeter's personality: there is the one that lives only to lay waste to the woodwinds and strings, leaving them lying blue and lifeless along the path of destruction that is a trumpeter's fury; then there's the dark side...." -- Michael Stewart, DMA

6. codyb226

codyb226 Banned

Mar 9, 2011
    Florida, US
    Yes, Dave just wanted to look smart for a minute. His minute is up.

coolerdave likes this.
  7. Bob Grier

Bob Grier Forte User

May 4, 2007
    Greensboro, NC
    NO an O-ring is not rubber. I have them on my silver horns and it's not a problem. A rubber band on the other hand reacts with the silver and leave black places that won't polish out.

I have water keys put on all my third valve slides. Of cours eI use Amado keys. The notes played with 2 & 3 and 1 & 3 are very clear, centered and in tune. Except low D of course.

8. Bob Grier

Bob Grier Forte User

May 4, 2007
    Greensboro, NC
    The original Silver flair of the 60s had a water key on the third slide. I use to own one. Boy I wish I still had that horn!

9. J. Jericho

J. Jericho Fortissimo User

Mar 16, 2011
    Right you are - I believe they are neoprene.

Bach Stradivarius Model 72* trumpet
    Yamaha YFH-731 flugelhorn
    King Opus 7 cornet
    King Cleveland 602 cornet
    Parrot Bb field trumpet
    natural trumpet in key of C (frankenhorn under construction)
    Selmer Bundy tenor trombone
    shofar
    Gemeinhardt C flute

"There are two sides to a trumpeter's personality: there is the one that lives only to lay waste to the woodwinds and strings, leaving them lying blue and lifeless along the path of destruction that is a trumpeter's fury; then there's the dark side...." -- Michael Stewart, DMA

Last edited: Jan 30, 2012
  10. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    Again must I tell you to keep rubber away from silverplate, and like not even in your case binding together your pencils. A simple string (shoe string) around your valve casing to the third valve slide ring keeps the slide from popping off and dinging your bell rim. I've seen some women use ribbons to do this and such works also. Like how damage can be much worse if the slide lands on the floor.