How to produce this trumpet tone

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by jellesmiecht, Jul 3, 2013.

1. jellesmiecht

jellesmiecht New Friend

Jun 1, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 3, 2013
  2. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Some call it "growling". I call it "humming" because that's what I have to do to make that sound on purpose. Players with tons of control can play it as a kind of split tone although it's risky.

3. jellesmiecht

jellesmiecht New Friend

Jun 1, 2012
    I thought that growling was an extreme form of this, but anyway, how do you perform this?

4. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Try humming while you play. Work on it until you get it.

5. rankamateur

rankamateur Mezzo Forte User

May 1, 2013
    Merry Ol' England
    alternatively take the spring out of your water key and let it sit open

or play a kazoo?

6. Branson

Branson Piano User

Jan 16, 2011
    This is neither "growling" or "humming".

Sometimes when a horn is over blown, you can get that effect.

It also could be that the mike was overblown. Notice that the effect is less when he plays softer.

Also notice that the sub tone is a perfect octave below the notes he is playing. In order to do that he would have to hum that lower not in order for it to sound an octave lower, which is called playing with the harmonics.

7. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    That would be the whisper key, wouldn't it?

8. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Well I just did it humming, but it is hard the higher in the register you go. Could definitely be over blowing.

9. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    I cal it over blowing. A growl has more sass to it. To get this sound you just need a horn that opens up in the high end, and a mouthpiece opening you can drill air through. Oh yes, and lots of air support with the should lift (then relax) inhalation procedure that I add to the "Ray of Power" theory... so dubbed, the Gmonady Raw of Power. A step up from the other Brother here that claims he came up with the Ray thingy.

Last edited: Jul 3, 2013
  10. ChopsGone

ChopsGone Forte User

Jan 26, 2009
    Northern California
    This and many other effects are covered in a book originally published in the 1920's, "The Novelty Cornetist", by Louis Panico (who was with the Isham Jones group before forming his own band). Originals are hard to come by, but I noticed recently that the thing has been republished. Pender's Music in Denton, TX, is among the places which carry it (no affiliation, etc., but since they're also the best source for Don Jacoby materials, and give good service to online orders, they deserve a mention).