How to properly end a note???

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by tgl, Nov 20, 2010.

1. Brekelefuw

Brekelefuw Fortissimo User

Mar 21, 2006
    Toronto
    This is exactly the wrong way to play pop music.

Tongue stop is a must for playing any sort of funk/rock/pop music. It is what lets you get that tight feeling in the horns that bands like Tower of Power get.

2. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    I beg to differ - for starters, I never said to play songs - I said to work on that specific aspect of technique and to approach it in a musical way. Did you even read the post that you quoted before trying to take it to task? It's not like doing a breath release is rocket science and for some things there is no sage bit of wisdom that's going to help - he'll simply have to practice the technique until he gets it right and makes the minor adjustments that will make it happen. A teacher can help by giving them some mental images to work with, but ultimately they are going to have to put in the work on their own.

Emulation can take a person a long way - I carved out a modest but respectable playing career for myself as a non-college educated, self-taught musician, simply by paying attention and listening, and working hard in the practice room from a musical standpoint to make things sound right. No one ever had to teach me how to do a proper breath release - I came to it on my own in a fairly natural way. I still gig regularly, and I still get called to play, so I must be doing something right.

Last edited: Nov 22, 2010
  3. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    It would be cool if the good players would really analyse their playing before posting. We DO cut the tone off with the tongue - otherwise our breathing would be research in stuttering. We do not have the ability to start and stop our air cleanly for even moderately quick passages. Most of us are using much more tongue than we realize!

4. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    I totally agree - but if you say to some players that you cut the air with the tongue, they'll think that you mean using the tip of the tongue in the teeth, or through the lips, rather than closing off the air stream with the back of the tongue in the throat....and there is such a thing as doing a breath release too, which is a matter of maintaining the proper breath support as the note is released. I do it all the time, and yes, I've analyzed my own playing.

5. B15M

B15M Forte User

Dec 30, 2003
    Monroe Ct.
    When playing quarter notes in four at about 120, tu tu tu tu. the start of the second note is the end of the first and so on, ending the note before with the tongue.

I got the idea that this thread was about half note and half rest. You would not end the half note with the tongue in standard legit music.

6. chet fan

chet fan Piano User

Jul 3, 2009
    do not think about that, think about music

for eg. do you think how to end words when you are talkin? -no you do nott. its the same way with playing trumpet

7. ewanmains

ewanmains Piano User

Jun 9, 2009
    Kilmarnock, UK
    As high, hard & as loud as possible? ROFL

Seriously though, as Rowuk rightly mentioned - 3 ways to stop the air. Practice all 3 & keep in mind the context of the situation, use as appropriate,

:-)

8. Solar Bell

Solar Bell Moderator Staff Member

May 11, 2005
    Metro Detroit

Chet.....

It is better to listen sometimes than speak.

9. ed haley

ed haley New Friend

Mar 1, 2008
    Chicago
    I am not liking these gun-toting riders that Solar Bell tags on his posts. They seem very inappropriate for this site. Over the top Solar Bell.

10. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    Yo Ed.

a.) you are a new member here with only 37 posts since 2008, which means you post about once a month.
    b.) Solar Bell is a moderator - you aren't (in case you miss the significance of this, that means HE decides what is and isn't appropriate for the site - not you)
    c.) Regardless of whether or not you personally like or believe in guns, personal gun ownership in the US is a guaranteed Constituational right codified in the 2nd Amendment of the Bill of Rights - confirmed in two cases handed down from the US Supreme Court in last two years. (Heller v. DC and McDonald v. Chicago) Like it or not, it is what it is.
    d.) Many people, myself included, fully exercise our rights guaranteed by the 2nd Amendment, and we can also feel free to express how we feel about it, another right codified by the 1st Amendment
    e.) Given points 'a' through 'd' above, if you have a problem with it, you know where the door is - given your posting frequency it's not likely anyone will notice you are gone.

You can express your opinion, but why should your opinion on the matter count any more than his does?

Last edited: Nov 22, 2010