How to properly end a note???

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by tgl, Nov 20, 2010.

1. ed haley

ed haley New Friend

Mar 1, 2008
    Chicago
    Sorry to be a pain but I am rather down on guns and do not expect to see headlines on this site recommending mayhem. As to my relatively new membership on this site, I read it every day and get a lot from it. I also don't think the moderator carries special weight in all matters however much I respect his knowledge and wisdom about trumpet playing.I am well aware of the Constitutional rights to gun ownership and freedom of speech. I am also aware that over the years members have spoken up about matters that may go against the grain.I guess I am entitled to free speech, as well. As to my knowing where door is, yes of course I know and I would not expect SB to change his format. I have noticed that these are always present on his posts. Sorry if I have got you upset and Exercised about this. I doubt you have to defend Solar Bell.

2. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    Well why don't you send him a PM and ask him about it rather than to take up space in this thread talking about it? I think Chuck would probably be more than happy to detail out his position on the matter and why you are waaaaay off base in your assertion that it is somehow recommending mayhem.

I jumped on it because I think it's hypocritical for you to want to restrict his right to free speech while you seem content to fully express yours. He and I also very much see eye to eye on this matter - I don't have those kinds of things in my signature at the moment because I like my quotes from Maximus Decimus Meridus much better. :D

Otherwise, I'm a gun-owning, acting member of the NRA, I grew up in a house full of guns, (approximately 130 at the time of my Dad's passing) learned about firearms safety and responsibility from the time I was old enough to walk and talk, learned how to shoot, reload, cast bullets and hunt, and I currently have a large safe containing a number of different firearms of my own - everything from magnum handguns to high powered rifles to 12 guage shotguns. Like my father before me, I teach my kids firearms safety and responsibility, as well as how to reload ammo and shoot. Oddly enough, even surrounded by guns all of my life, mayhem has never once entered the picture - in fact, quite the opposite is true. The basics of gun safety and firearms marksmanship are actually anti-mayhem in their nature.

Now, do you have anything worthwhile to contribute to the actual thread itself?

Last edited: Nov 22, 2010
  3. R.T. Swing

R.T. Swing Pianissimo User

Feb 6, 2007
    UK
    Guilty as charged, I should have explained more. When I said to let the note go, I was thinking about the last note at the end of a musical phrase that I so often hear choked off by young brass players in school or beginners even after months of playing. I do think notes with in the phrase take care of themselves when the person is thinking musicaly.

4. Brekelefuw

Brekelefuw Fortissimo User

Mar 21, 2006
    Toronto
    The gun thing offends me as well, and I have considered sending him a PM, but instead I just don't look at his signature anymore.

Because he is a moderator, he should know to keep everything he does as uncontroversial as possible when it comes to that kind of politics.

Post count has nothing to do with it.

Anyways, back to the tonguing.

5. B15M

B15M Forte User

Dec 30, 2003
    Monroe Ct.
    Funny thing,

I read all the time about how the moderators should leave our posts alone.
    Now we want to moderate the moderators.

Where does it end?

6. Markie

Markie Forte User

Jan 4, 2009
    Clarksburg, WV
    stop the air but not with the tongue. Just stop the air.
    If you get in the habit of stopping with your tongue, you can end up with a "tat" sound instead of "ta"

Last edited: Nov 22, 2010
  7. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    Seriously? I mean really - are you serious? If that's all it takes to offend you, quite possibly you need to grow a thicker skin, perhaps?

8. Markie

Markie Forte User

Jan 4, 2009
    Clarksburg, WV
    The average response time of a 911 call is over 4 minutes.
    The average speed of my 9mm is 1250 fps
    -----
    See solar bell. This is why you need a rottweiler. I've been an owner for almost 25 years and its amazing how people leave your house, property, and family alone.
    People will go out of their way to stay out of the way of my dog when I walk him. He's actually more trained than my 7 year old and very friendly to those who are allowed to know him but he looks like the unholy spawn of lightening and death itself.
    As a contingency, I also keep a blow gun handy in case they get past the rottweiler(which is highly unlikely).
    With that said, Someone get SB a puppy.

9. B15M

B15M Forte User

Dec 30, 2003
    Monroe Ct.
    Just think how fast a 9mm could kill your dog?

10. Markie

Markie Forte User

Jan 4, 2009
    Clarksburg, WV
    This is exactly the wrong way to play pop music.

Tongue stop is a must for playing any sort of funk/rock/pop music. It is what lets you get that tight feeling in the horns that bands like Tower of Power get.
    ----------
    Yes I agree that for pop music, and even some Basie tunes (which we talked about some time ago). However, for the most part (and I play a lot of pop tunes) I tend to stay away from stopping with the tongue unless necessary.