How to properly end a note???

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by tgl, Nov 20, 2010.

1. Markie

Markie Forte User

Jan 4, 2009
    Clarksburg, WV
    Yes, but will a 9mm, blow gun, or rottweiler help the Poster with their air problem?

2. B15M

B15M Forte User

Dec 30, 2003
    Monroe Ct.
    Yes, the velocity of the bullet in relation to the bight of the dog is directly related to the airflow at the end of the note. Can't everybody see that?

3. bigtiny

bigtiny Mezzo Forte User

Aug 14, 2005

Sorry if I misunderstood. Maybe this had something to do with it (from your post):

"I think that if you focus on the music, the mechanics of the technique will probably take care of themselves."

bigtiny

4. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    Wasn't it Bud Herseth who said to practice everything musically, or something to that effect? There are a lot of great players and teachers who suggest that no matter what you play - whether it's a scale or the most mundane of exercises, that it should be approached musically.

So yes - focus on the music, and the mechanics of the technique will probably take care of themselves, but that doesn't mean to only play "music" as in sheet music or songs or whatever - the same thing applies to scales, articulation exercises, and note releases.

5. MVF

MVF Pianissimo User

Sep 10, 2010
    SoCal
    Ok, just to at least try to contribute once in a while- I am a recently returning player (about 3 months now) and I have experienced the same problem- as well as plenty of others, although things are going much better than I expected and I am having a blast.

The advice about playing musically as opposed to concentrating on technique works for me about half the time. The other half of the time I focus on technique! To give an example, I have found that when I am having a bad day in the Arban book, if I forget about the pieces being "drills" or "exercises" and play them like music- just have fun, change up the rhythms, add slurs, etc. all of a sudden I'm sounding great.

On the other hand, sometimes I'm playing music and notice something like the sad ending mentioned here and I need to focus more on the technique to get the sound I want. Other days, I treat the exercises like exercises and the music like music and everything is fine. I guess the advice I'm trying to give is to be flexible and try different things until you find what works for you in that situation. So far, I have found that I have more luck if I focus on what I want as opposed to exactly how to get there.
    YMMV

6. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Man, you guys play trumpet and are upset by guns? Since when was trumpet playing pacifist?

Seriously, this is an open internet forum. We limit politics and religion here for good reason. America is great because it is based on TOLERANCE. That is something that the current analyst controlled political class has forgotten. Guns are no better or worse than the drug filled meat that we eat, the greed that makes children steal unbelievable amounts of recorded music or the worshipping of the pop star around the corner.

Our common denominator is TRUMPET. As long as we remember that, our stay here can be fun. If our agenda is to try and achieve the LOWEST COMMON DENOMINATOR, we are better off starting a local club and going to the same bar for the next 50 years to bitch about all others that are a bit different in race, creed and color.

Come on guys, you live in America, land of the FREE and home of the Brave - not a festering ground for monoculture. Don't let those sick analysts destroy your values too!

7. Cornyandy

Cornyandy Fortissimo User

Jan 9, 2010
    East Yorkshire
    I have had the opportuntiy to shoot clay pigieon (they make very crunchy pies), pistol and try my hand at archery, all great fun, (bear in mind we have a different culture regarding guns in the UK) but there is something I love more, the Trumpet. SB's tag is like modern art if you don't like it don't look at it.

Andrew

8. areichleal

areichleal New Friend

May 24, 2010
    I must have "lucked" into doing something correctly. I find Rowuk's advice works very well for me. In the morning, after a 10" warm up, I spend an hour sight reading music with fresh chops. In the afternoon, I spend an hour with technical stuff. When I reverse the process, the sight reading really goes downhill. I think part of it is having a fresh mind in the morning as well. As for notes, I practice both stopping with the tongue and stopping exhaling.

9. fraserhutch

fraserhutch Mezzo Piano User

Jan 23, 2004
    Novato, CA, USA
    I'm not wanting to ask what a 10-inch warmup is.....

10. ccNochops

ccNochops Piano User

Sep 30, 2006
    White Marsh, VA
    I think I'm gonna strap on the shooting iron when I practice, see if I improve any. Might help cut back on the critics......including the dog:cool: