How to put in a straight mute quickly

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by keigoh, Apr 11, 2013.

1. keigoh

keigoh Pianissimo User

Oct 24, 2012
    Tokyo
    In one of the pieces that I'm playing, I have to put in a straight mute in my trumpet really quickly, because there is only one measure to do so, and the tempo is pretty fast, too. Are there any tips on putting in a straight mute quickly, and so that it doesn't fall off?

2. VetPsychWars

VetPsychWars Fortissimo User

Nov 8, 2006
    Greenfield WI
    If all you have is one measure, all you can do, really, is hold it in with your hand until you have a chance to tighten it. If the passage is short enough, just hold it in until you can take it out.

Tom

3. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    You can hold the mute in the crook of your left knee before the quick change or put it there after a quick change. Looks way hipper than holding it with one's crotch.

4. Bauerbear

Bauerbear Mezzo Piano User

Jul 11, 2012
    Winter Park, FL
    Not to brag, but I've become pretty adept at playing one handed, circus style, for this reason. ;-)

5. Brekelefuw

Brekelefuw Fortissimo User

Mar 21, 2006
    Toronto
    I definitely am a crotch-mute person.
    Or, if I am standing, I will sometimes put it under my right arm pit.

6. VetPsychWars

VetPsychWars Fortissimo User

Nov 8, 2006
    Greenfield WI
  7. jiarby

jiarby Fortissimo User

May 7, 2011
    Arizona
    Seems like I have seen a photo of a pit trumpet player with a straight mute attached to a stand (like the old derby stands). Then he just jams the bell into the mute right in time.

8. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Command the viola player in the row ahead of you to insert it for you on cue, as their part will never be missed.

9. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    I hold the mute in my left hand, while playing the trumpet in my right, then insert mute gently while taking a breath then give it a firm torque just before resetting the lips to play the note.

10. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Doomed for failure. By the time you extract the mute, facing the wrong way by the way, from the rim, turn it around and place it in the horn, your passage has gone by and you are now into the 8 bar rest that follows, all the while the viola section is pointing at you and laughing their fool bows off. It is at this point that all life as we know it ends.