How to relax and to open thoat

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by chet fan, May 12, 2010.

1. VetPsychWars

VetPsychWars Fortissimo User

Nov 8, 2006
    Greenfield WI
    Stop blowing so hard.

Sneak up on it and play efficiently.

Tom

2. chet fan

chet fan Piano User

Jul 3, 2009
    when I do not blow hard enough nothing comes out of the horn:dontknow: but a sound of air:-( because I do not buzz into iz, I let my lips buzz by themselves when there is contact with mpc (I was told by my teacher that that is the rightway to play the tpt, not to buzz into it)

3. mchs3d

mchs3d Mezzo Forte User

Sep 30, 2005
    Provo, UT
    The closed throat is most likely the valsalva response. Basically, the harder you blow, the more resistance there is against it. I think slowing down is the best way to do it. Just play slowly and work your way up and it should take care of itself.

4. chet fan

chet fan Piano User

Jul 3, 2009
    thats it! thats the exact word that he used, but I coulnt remember it when I was writing my post

thank you, but you dint realy help as he said the same thing but valsava is still here. I am trying to relax, but it just wont go away. At least I am now aware of it and I can clearly feel it inside my throat, whereas before I wasnt even aware of it.

the fact that scares me the most is that he said that that thing is a natural part of us, like our legs or arms, and that it is perfectly normal, thus we have to go against our nature to solve that problem. Infact that isnt really a problem, its just like a heart beat, its a completely normal thing, but for us brass players is a nuisance, nobody else complains of it, not even sportsmen. Only brass players are affected.

Last edited: May 13, 2010
  5. Back at it

Back at it Pianissimo User

Feb 12, 2010
    Western, NY
    Yes, the Valsalva maneuver. It is when we bare down and strain and stop breathing. Think of lifting a heavy weight, what do we inherently do? bare down and stop breathing. Trumpet is all about managing that. I continue to work on this all the time, formerly being a tension player. What's helped me tremendously was Clark bars, all of them, daily. The clark technical studies are a 37 week program at least, helps to learn to float the air, once you have them down correctly, k toongue, double, slurred, then take up octave and apply same principles.

6. Markie

Markie Forte User

Jan 4, 2009
    Clarksburg, WV
    Hi Chet fan,
    The Valsalva maneuver or Valsalva manoeuvre is performed by forcible exhalation against a closed airway, usually done by closing one's mouth and pinching one's nose shut. Variations of the maneuver can be used either in medical examination as a test of cardiac function and autonomic nervous control of the heart, or to "clear" the ears and sinuses (that is, to equalize pressure between them) when ambient pressure changes, as in diving, hyperbaric oxygen therapy, or aviation.

The technique is named after Antonio Maria Valsalva,[1] the 17th Century physician and anatomist from Bologna, whose principal scientific interest was the human ear. He described the Eustachian tube and the maneuver to test its patency (openness). He also described the use of this maneuver to expel pus from the middle ear.
    ---------------
    I do this to open up my eustachian tubes from time to time.
    As for your dilemma, it is reasonable to suspect that you are not projecting your sound, you are keeping it bottled up.
    When you play, point your horn toward an object far away and blow your horn like you are sending the sound to that object. Good Bye Valsalva effect.

7. Jeff D

Jeff D New Friend

Dec 4, 2008
    Arizona
    I actually had the same problem for a while (throat tension etc.) My problem stemmed from breathing incorrectly. What I did was learned to breath "lower" in my body, which I got from this video. YouTube - Jim Manley - Approach to Air & Airmen of Note trumpets It explains it a lot better then I could. Also, Sound Concept helped me a lot. I personally really enjoy Wayne Bergeron and similar players who play with a very full relaxed sound, and by trying to emulate them in combination with relaxed breath helped a lot. Playing very softly in both low and high registers is also helping me a lot at this point to properly control air flow in a correct manner too. These things have cured me of tension problems that were very limiting to me for a while and they might help out.

8. crazyandy88

crazyandy88 Pianissimo User

Nov 3, 2007
    Fayetteville, AR
    If you can make it St. Louis I would suggest contacting Jim Manley for a lesson. He is a really cool guy and has some great ideas on relaxed playing. I felt his stomach as he played from a low c to a double c and nothing was happening! I couldn't play above a Bb for a long time until I figured out how to breathe and play without so much tension. Jim was the same way in college and figured this stuff out on his own...he isn't one of those double c at 12 yrs old guys. This is a good video to watch but you get more in person!

9. Al Innella

Al Innella Forte User

Aug 9, 2007
    Levittown , NY
    If you're forcing your air and not breathing relaxed ,and not playing with a full round centered tone, then yes your range is only up to C in the staff.There's tension[pushing] and then there's too much tension, a little may get the job done,but too much will choke it off.

10. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    I've been following both the Monette school of thought on body centering for breath control, and the Harrelson Climation notes that came with my Bravura - ever so gradually my upper register is opening up to a full, fat, respectable 'feeling' - I find I search for the "feeling of fatness" rather than pressure and as I do my throat automatically relaxes with my body. Feel for the big sound you want and your mind doesn't seemed to want to allow you throat to constrict. It's almost like the effect you get from speaking with full tone, loudly, and on your own in a BIG room (you know, just like kids test the accoustics of any big space).

Of course, the 'certainty' that my Bravura trumpet will slot precisely helps heaps.

(I've just re-read this, I'm not sure I've made sense but anyhow ........ I hope it helps. I've been practicing Taps for that big open sound - no I'll never play it publicly but it does help, as does Il Silencio, and the Canadian Brass Dixieland arrangement of Amazing Grace.)