How to relax and to open thoat

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by chet fan, May 12, 2010.

1. Al Innella

Al Innella Forte User

Aug 9, 2007
    Levittown , NY
    Ted you're on the right track,I've been telling students to think bigger,fuller, not louder, for the last 35 years, fill it and project it, don't blast it.

2. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    Yes Al - full leads to fat leads to loud - easier to keep things musical when the tension goes from the note - how I wish I was 16 and knew this.

3. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    You are 16, just trapped in an old man's body!
    If you don't believe this, what is your mental reaction when you see an atractive Shiela?

Tah-dah!

4. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    Hmmm - fascinating concept - yep, that's it, I'm a 16 yo in a slightly creased skin - with the attitude of a 18 yo, and the knowledge that comes with some experience, and teetering on the cusp of senility.

Is it any wonder I'm so confused ......? :-?

Reaction to attractive sheilas - it's always been the same nyuk, nyuk, nyuk.

5. Glennx

Glennx Pianissimo User

Aug 16, 2009
    Ottawa
    Hi Chet Fan...

Here's an old teaching aid that I assume your teacher would already have shared with you to give you an idea of what an 'open' throat might feel like, but in case not: roll up a a sheet of paper to form a tube about 1"-1.5" inches in diameter. Place one end in your mouth about an inch or so and then inhale normally. You'll find it's almost impossible to keep the throat closed. Try to keep somewhat of the same feeling when you play. Hope this helps.

6. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    Oooooooooo ................ suckin' on the end of an old toilet roll, that's just so wrong in so many ways. :shhh:

7. chet fan

chet fan Piano User

Jul 3, 2009
    Hi guys I am going somewhere.

1. I have been learning that belly breathing thing. And it is working well for me. (if the stomach is empty, aftr meal I cannot play at all)

2. my sound has opened up a lot, and I am projecting it, I went to woods and was projecting my sound all around, usually I have that subconscious brake that doesnt allow me to do that in my flat, because the neighbours are all around. In the woods I am free, and that freedom can be heard in my sound. It is BIG and FULL!!!

3. Before, when I was breathing "shallow" so to speak, I could growl only up to G in the staff. Now I can growl through entire range all the way to high C. So that tells me that my throat is ok now. or is it?

8. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Like with diets, Alcohol Anonymous and quitting smoking, success on the trumpet is measured in months and years. Focussing on the daily situation is just lying to ourselves as the next setback ALWAYS proves.

Just keep sensibly practicing and don't look for proof in the couple of notes that you may have only achieved by twisting something you don't know about - yet.

9. crazyandy88

crazyandy88 Pianissimo User

Nov 3, 2007
    Fayetteville, AR
    Here is something I heard this weekend at the Monette anniversary event. Charles Schleuter, principle of Boston Symphony for 25 years, was talking about breathing and he said this(roughly), "I don't think about the exhale, the only time I feel that I need to support the air is when I don't have enough." His point was that we must take in the maximum amount of air each time we breathe. After that, your body naturally expels the air into the trumpet. If you feel that you are "pushing" the air then you are doing too much.

10. guyclark

guyclark Piano User

Feb 28, 2008
    Los Gatos, CA
    This is >>MY<< biggest problem, I believe, with my playing! I'm frequently writing in my parts "BIG BREATH!!" in places because I find I often forget to breathe and then have insufficient air to get through a passage. :roll: I think I tend to breathe shallowly in everyday life as well. Perhaps more strenuous exercise (besides playing trumpet) would help. :dontknow:

Guy (Breathe, dammit! BREATHE!!!) :shhh:Clark