How to remove black marks from my trumpet

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by alant, Mar 21, 2010.

1. alant

alant Pianissimo User

Aug 18, 2009
    Rochdale UK
    Can any one advise, i have bought a bach strad 37 in lacquer (private sale) there are a few very small black marks on the bell rim (outside) of the trumpet, The strad is still under warranty should i have it seen to or will it end up looking worse, i live in the UK and have been told that the UK in general will struggle to repair to the same standads of the USA. It will have to go back to the 'discount wholsaler' for repair!

2. Peter McNeill

Peter McNeill Utimate User

Jan 30, 2009
    Melbourne Australia
    This is a new Bach Strad? If new I would do something if under warranty.

If it is a second hand horn, then It sounds like it is a recondition job, and may be some contamination at the metal. Not sure. I would probably just put up with it. You can check the serial numbers to identify the year of manufacture. Funny how you did not see it when you bought it. (Rose coloured glasses maybe).

I had a horn from the 1970s new back then and within 5 years a fingerprint appeared under the lacquer, it never hurt it; just strange how it came out over time as a black smudge.

3. Mamba21500

Mamba21500 Piano User

Feb 26, 2009
    just go to your local music store, and ask their brass expert what you should do?

if you don't know where the closest decent music store to you is, just say where you live, and I'll point you in the right direction. :)

4. Phil

Phil Pianissimo User

Jun 7, 2009
    Cookeville
    plain ordinary tooth paste with no extra stuff, i.e. whiteners, if it has whitening stuff or anything else that is special in it you could potentially scratch the metal. It is actually pretty amazing how well the tooth paste idea works

5. a marching trumpet

a marching trumpet Mezzo Piano User

Feb 11, 2009
    Murfreesboro, TN
    I have a 1976 strad, no silver loss whatsoever, and I have a black smudge on the inside of my bell from where someones stand put a mark there, will toothpaste remove that, without harming my silver finish?

6. Big Daddy

Big Daddy Mezzo Piano User

Mar 22, 2009
    Los Angeles, CA
    I had black smudges on the bottom of my valve casing from the grime gutter they shipped on my trumpet. I tried and tried to get it off and it just got worse. I put the question to the TM peeps and someone mentioned, a brass cleaner called Flitz, I went to my local music shop and purchased a "Blitz" cloth (they were out of the Flitz Polish) and with some elbow grease and strong thumb I was able to clean it all off. It is made to clean and not harm the plating or lacquer.

7. Phil

Phil Pianissimo User

Jun 7, 2009
    Cookeville
    Plain old ordinary toothpaste with no whiteners or baking soda or anything else will work. I've used it on my 1965 silver plated strad with no scratching. I feel I should clarify this because you never know...use a polishing cloth or other soft lintfree cloth, not a tooth brush... :dontknow:

8. Peter McNeill

Peter McNeill Utimate User

Jan 30, 2009
    Melbourne Australia
    The original post say "Lacquered":

So the toothpaste and polishing clothes are good for Silver plate, but will not do any good on lacquer, in fact toothpaste is a mild polish, so may remove a small amount of lacquer, but it will be smoother. :)

9. mlrenick

mlrenick Pianissimo User

Sep 20, 2009
    Ft. Myers, Florida
    just used toothpaste on my trumpet and WOW. It works great. Its silver though.

10. stumac

stumac Fortissimo User

Oct 19, 2008
    Flinders Vic Australia
    Alant,

Is the staining under the lacquer just inside the bell rim ? If so this is flux bleed from the soldering at assembly and nothing can be done short of stripping, polishing and relacquering. I have a couple of horns that have suffered this and just live with it.

Regards, Stuart.