How to remove stuck mouth piece?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Repair and Modification' started by longmvu, Jul 31, 2013.

1. longmvu

longmvu New Friend

Jun 10, 2011
    Should i put my trumpet in hot water? I can't get to a store at this hour, so I can't get it pulled.

2. Osren

Osren Mezzo Forte User

Oct 17, 2010
    Mesa, Az
    if you have an OLD trumpet with the old Cellous Lacquer (pre 1960s) don't use HOT water on it... it could actually start stripping off the lacquer.

If you have a newer trumpet (1960s to present) that is Lacquered I would still use caution with HOT water... luke warm would be fine in either case.

If you have a silver plated trumpet... hot water shouldn't do any harm at all...

you can try the HOT (or luke warm) water.... you may also consider pulling the main tuning slide and spraying some penetrating oil (WD-40, Liquid Wrentch, PB- Buster) down the lead pipe and let is soak for a bit on the mouthpiece / lead pipe area (may even want to put a little gum on the mouthpiece to prevent the penetratin oil from coming out --- warning.. your trumpet WILL stink doing this method... and it will take 1 or MANY soakings and cleanings to fully get the smell of the penetraing oil out.

Whatever you do, do not... under ANY circumstances twist that mouthpiece with any force, that includes using a pair of pliers, or anything else to turn it. You will end up doing HUNDREDS of dollars of damage to the horn.

your BEST bet is just leave it in there and wait until you can get it to someone that has a proper mouthpiece puller...

I know it's driving you NUTS and you want that mouthpiece out NOW... but the cheapest and best solution is the wait and get it done properly.

3. Sidekick

Sidekick Mezzo Piano User

Apr 14, 2011
    London UK
    Leave it and get it sorted out by someone with a mouthpiece puller.

4. trumpetsplus

trumpetsplus Fortissimo User

Jun 11, 2006
    South Salem, NY
    Please do not even try!

5. retro23

retro23 Pianissimo User

Mar 15, 2011
    Andalucia Spain
    What kind of tumpet is it:-?

6. Joe44

Joe44 Pianissimo User

Apr 21, 2011
    Upstate Ny
    Pliers :evil: ( I have some nasty pliers marks in one of my mouthpieces. If you are that desperate make sure you don't twist too hard. Know when to stop. Use a cloth.) Warning. The average person does not know when to stop and will likely end up hurting their equipment. It is almost always best to take it in to get pulled.

7. cantplaytrumpet

cantplaytrumpet Pianissimo User

Apr 2, 2012
    Just out of curiosity, why can't you just use a cloth and twist it out?
    What damage will it cause? Will the mouthpiece snap or what? :dontknow:

8. Joe44

Joe44 Pianissimo User

Apr 21, 2011
    Upstate Ny
    Code:

Try it, you'll find out. ( I guess I am feeling especially evil this morning.) Now that I have that out of my system... Lots of things could happen from plier marks in the mouthpiece, bent mp, bent leadpipe, twisted off leadpipe, frustration, immense sobbing, and sometimes death. Just don't do it................. Unless you are feeling mighty adventurous.

9. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    If you don't have a mpc puller, you risk damage to horn and mpc. A twisted, bent, unsoldered lead pipe is a much more expensive fix than pulling the mpc.

10. trumpetsplus

trumpetsplus Fortissimo User

Jun 11, 2006
    South Salem, NY
    You can always modify the case...
    [​IMG]