How to remove stuck mouth piece?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Repair and Modification' started by longmvu, Jul 31, 2013.

1. coolerdave

coolerdave Utimate User

Nov 7, 2009
    San Pedro
    Probably the biggest reason trumpets get damaged is people trying to unstick a mouthpiece ... you really don't want to join that club.
    Call around to your local music stores and find out who has a mp puller... they will do it on the spot.. most will do it for free... some $10

Last edited: Aug 1, 2013
  2. VetPsychWars

VetPsychWars Fortissimo User

Nov 8, 2006
    Greenfield WI
    If it's tight enough, you start twisting on it and you break the brace between the receiver and the bell and turn the mouthpipe into a pretzel. Instant $200 repair.

Tom

3. kcmt01

kcmt01 Mezzo Forte User

Sep 25, 2009
    Polson, MT
    Are you a student? Your band director will do it for free.

4. barliman2001

barliman2001 Fortissimo User

Jul 5, 2010
    Vienna, Austria, Europe
    If you have a VERY light horn or plastic hammer (something REALLY SMALL, like a quarter of the size of a childs play hammer), you might try very lightly tapping the leadpipe very cautiously.

If you don't like your horn, and feel savage and think it's a re-incarnation of your mother-in-law, try pliers.

You're really in trouble if - like me at one time -you are using a DW cornet mpc with trumpet shank adaptor. The whole mpc outfit was too short for the mpc puller... we ended up using dry ice on the mpc alone, and that worked. Only don't touch the mpc for a couple of hours afterwards - took quite a bit of skin off my fingers!!

Last edited: Aug 1, 2013
  5. harleyt26

harleyt26 Mezzo Forte User

Dec 9, 2009
    Summerfield,Fl.
    Where are you located? We may be able to recommend a repair shop close to you, or if you are close to me you can borrow my puller.

6. Masterwannabe

Masterwannabe Mezzo Piano User

Sep 11, 2009
    Colorado
    You can try it this way and the horn might then find it's way on to eBay cheap enough that I can buy it and fix it up. I just did that with 2 horns, the mouthpieces were all scarred from the pliers and fortunately the braces on the leadpipe broke before the leadpipe twisted. I got a couple of new braces and repaired a couple of them and 'presto-chango' I have a couple of good student horns.

7. SteveRicks

SteveRicks Fortissimo User

Aug 15, 2009
    Alabama
    Go to a shop and have it pulled. It will cost less than the gas to drive there. Or, if you are as cheap as me, call your local high school or junior high school (which is likely much closer tahn a shop). and ask to speak with the band director. Most have mouthpiece pullers because the problem is so common. They will likely do it for free. It is a 30 second fix if they are slow about it.

8. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    Usually, but only if s/he is competent in using a mouthpiece puller ... and the Board of Education has provided the funds to purchase a mouthpiece puller. I recommend that every player purchase their own as they are not that expensive ... and invariably sometime in their lifetime they will need to pull their own ... it's happened to me once to often. Too, I never kept an accounting of how many belonging to others I've pulled.

9. VetPsychWars

VetPsychWars Fortissimo User

Nov 8, 2006
    Greenfield WI
    Kids also need to be taught not to jam the piece in super-tight. It just has to be tight enough to not fall out.

Tom

10. coolerdave

coolerdave Utimate User

Nov 7, 2009
    San Pedro
    Seems like you should be able to pop it out with a little twist or tap, right? .... and that's how trumpets get destroyed ... it's insidious ... hard to believe it just won't come out with a little help ... but not worth the risk when a mouthpiece puller pops it out in a few seconds.