How to remove stuck mouth piece?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Repair and Modification' started by longmvu, Jul 31, 2013.

1. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    longmvu ---- HEY, this is all great advice --- but if you haven't listened to any of it --- then quick, go get a hacksaw, and cut the leadpipe off, (below the mpc shank of course) -- after all, you really don't want to ruin a good mpc . ROFL ROFL ROFL. ONCE you cut the leadpipe off (and ruined a perfectly good trumpet), you can go to the dollar store or the cabinet and get some duct tape, electrical tape, and you can tape it back together for practice and playing it. ---------------NOW THAT IS A SOLUTION THAT NO ONE ELSE GAVE YOU!!!!

ps. if you followed this advice --you now have discovered -- YOU ARE REALLY A WOODWIND PLAYER --- so tape the horn back together -- Ebay it for some money, and go buy a clarinet --- YOU WILL BE A SUCCESSFUL WOODWIND PLAYER!!! ROFL ROFL ROFL

2. B-Flat Cat

B-Flat Cat Pianissimo User

Sep 9, 2010
    Tennessee
    Assuming you took the excellent advice to use a mouthpiece puller and your mouthpiece is now unstuck with no damage to your axe, try this to keep it unstuck if sticking is a chronic problem: put a very light coating of slide lube on the mouthpiece shank before playing. I only have the sticking problem with Denis Wick mouthpieces in my cornet (seems I read something once about this issue with certain cornets) and had to resort to a puller once. Lubricating the mouthpiece shank is now part of my cornet pre-practice/performance routine.

3. SteveRicks

SteveRicks Fortissimo User

Aug 15, 2009
    Alabama
    Funny, I remember 3-4 times getting my mouthpiece stuck in HS and I was always VERY careful with my horn. Haven't stuck one in 40 years. Wonder if motor skills improve as we get older. Think I insert mouthpiece with a very slight twist (habit). Any of us old guys ever stick one recently?

4. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    Not since I've applied anhydrous lanolin to my mpc shanks just prior to inserting. Still, I've got my Bobcat mpc puller in my bottom right hand desk drawer.

5. B-Flat Cat

B-Flat Cat Pianissimo User

Sep 9, 2010
    Tennessee
    I do not recall ever having the mouthpiece stuck (began playing in 1962 on a Conn Director) until I had the issue I mentioned above with the Denis Wick mouthpiece in my cornet, which is admittedly not the grandest axe in the world. I have a Bach cornet mouthpiece that gives me no problem. Unfortunately, the Bach gives the cornet a sharper trumpet-like sound (great for Dixieland) that does not blend well with the British-style band I play in.

6. VetPsychWars

VetPsychWars Fortissimo User

Nov 8, 2006
    Greenfield WI
    I vaguely recall getting one stuck a few years ago, which is a quite unusual occurrence for me. Took it to Mr Charlie Melk who of course pulled it in less than a minute.

Tom

7. Masterwannabe

Masterwannabe Mezzo Piano User

Sep 11, 2009
    Colorado
    I know this may sound kind of stupid or maybe even naive but I don't ever remember getting a mouthpiece stuck (started playing in 1956) and believe it or not, never even saw or knew that mouthpiece pullers existed till about 3 or 4 years ago. I have since bought one and used it numerous times on horns that I have bought. I wish I had invented it!!!

8. harleyt26

harleyt26 Mezzo Forte User

Dec 9, 2009
    Summerfield,Fl.
    I started in 64 and haven't had a stuck mouthpiece either. But I have bought several horns with mouthpieces stuck in them. I bought a puller few of years ago too.

9. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    Under no circumstance would I do the above, but I might torch off the mouthpiece receiver and mouthpiece together, and then address the remaining issue of the mpc being stuck in the receiver as would be easier. I have seen a student using a mouthpiece puller drop his trumpet and really smash his bell and dent and jam his second valve slide. He did get the mouthpiece clear, but it cost him mega dollars to have his trumpet repaired by a competent tech, and still had to buy a new trumpet due to the time element of upcoming performance audition. What he did with the repaired one, I don't know, but I never saw him play it again and I could tell as it was silver plated and his new one was lacquered brass. I'll just assume he sold it, and the possibility is that one of you bought it. The good news is that his audition was successful, the bad news is that he quit playing for what reason I also don't know.

10. Curmudgeon

Curmudgeon New Friend

May 9, 2005
    Redding, CA
    I rarely have a had a stuck mp and I've always been able to get them out without too much effort. Yesterday, I was putting a music stand back in the case and the strap caught my cornet and pulled if off the table. Luckily the floor was carpeted and I haven't seen any damage to the horn. PTL. It was a freak accident but the mp was stuck. I have some plastic jaw covers for my pliers so I thought that maybe I could twist it slightly to release it. Wrong! The plastic slipped and now I have a scratch on the bore section of the mp. I read all the posts on here and watched some youtubes. The best thing to do is just to take it to a shop that has an mp puller. Lucky for me the horn fit into the case with the mp on since we had a gig this morning and another one tonight. The guy at the shop said they don't charge to remove stuck mps, but I handed him a $20 bill and told him to have lunch on me. I hope that it never gets stuck again and I will also use a little slide grease on the shank and leadpipe now that I've learned that trick. Don't try to remove it with force. Take it to a shop. If that's not immediately possible, wrap your horn in some towels and carry it in a gym bag until you can take to the shop