How to rest from practice to performance...

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by roryhislop, Jan 16, 2009.

1. roryhislop

roryhislop New Friend

Dec 19, 2008
    Hello, I was looking for adive on how to rest my lips efficiantly and so that my range will be fresh from a 4 hour practice in the middle of the day to a show at night. The show is tomorrow so if anyone has any advice it would be greatly appreciated asap :D.

Also I find when I play it feels like there is pressure just below my left ribcage and although it doesn't affect my playing I am somewhat worried about it because it is very irritating. Any ideas what it might be?

Thanks

2. lovevixen555

lovevixen555 Banned

Nov 5, 2008
    Michigan
    What are you doing practiceing 4 hours the night before a show??? If you do not have it by now you are not going to get it!!! I would never ever take that much practice the night before a show. The good news is that you should be fine buy show time since the body does great healing you when you sleep but do not do that ever again! Like wise do not take a long time warming up. You do not see a marathon runner go out and run 10-15 miles the night before they have to run over 26 miles!!! Like wise they do not go jog 5 miles as a warm up before the race. Most people spend too much time warming up or they warm up and then stop 30-40 minute out fromt he show!!! I used to hop in a practice room if one was available and and spend about 10 minutes before the show I would just do some arpegio's, scales, maybe one or two tricky spots in the performance that I had a tendency to mess up etc...... Someone had to knock on the glass to get me I was not standing around chatting. Since I only gave myself 5-10 mintes before the show I was always fresh and my instrument warm. THe time it took to line up and walk on stage was plenty of rest time. I would work on relaxing the whole time I was farming up by the time I was walking out tot he stage as I was a loose and flacid as jello completly calm. Make warm up fun and relaxing no need to take it so serious and get all tightened up!!!

3. roryhislop

roryhislop New Friend

Dec 19, 2008
    Oh sorry I should have mentioned the practice is for a DIFFERENT band. It is for a local festival and all the schools send representative players and the rehearsal happens to be on the same day as my show with my other band. The music I play with my band is actually all improv. for me so I don't need to actually rehearse my parts just when to play and when not to. Thank you for that advice though, and I will hopefully avoid this situation again.

4. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Just keep the horn in the case. There is no better way to relax.

We are creatures of habit. To have the most consistency, do the same things every day at the same time.

I do not drink black tea before playing. There is tannic acid in it and my lips seem to get less responsive. Tap water seems to be the best.

5. Al Innella

Al Innella Forte User

Aug 9, 2007
    Levittown , NY
    After the rehearsal when you put the horn away try stretching your lips as if doing a big yawn, then try flapping your lips to get the blood flowing again, you can do these things any time your lips start to feel tired to rejuvenate them, good luck!