How to Satin finish a horn

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Phil Kersh, Apr 30, 2008.

1. stumac

stumac Fortissimo User

Oct 19, 2008
    Flinders Vic Australia
    Did not see this thread 18 months old! :-o

2. stumac

stumac Fortissimo User

Oct 19, 2008
    Flinders Vic Australia
    Hi Phil,

Jo Sonjas Gloss Varnish Polyurethane Water Based.

Chroma Inc USA
    Lititz PA 17543 USA
    Tel: 1 717 626 8866

Regards, Stuart

3. crowmanic

crowmanic Mezzo Piano User

Nov 9, 2015
    Late to the party. Can you tell me specifically what "domestic powder cleaner" you used? Did you use a "toothbrush" on the entire horn?

4. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    I'm guessing it probably won't matter much - Ajax or Comet would likely do the job, but you could probably also use powdered Barkeeper's Friend, although that is probably less abrassive. I remember when I was in Basic Training, one of the jobs we were supposed to do was to Brasso the sink brass every day - particularly the grated drain at the bottom of the sink. I had figured out before going to basic training that Comet, although abrasive, will polish brass, it's A LOT faster than Brasso, and it doesn't leave a dirty residue - it rinses clean and doesn't have to be washed with something else, so that's how we did it.

I imagine that you could do almost anything you wanted with the tooth brush - straight strokes, swirled strokes - whatever. Personally, I'd probably use light rubbing with a green Scotch Brite pad. On the watch forums, guys will clean up and restore the brushed stainless on their watch bands with Scotch brite pads, so it would undoubtedly work with a horn too.

The only other thing to say is ZAMBIE THREAD!!!!! Almost 8 years old now!

5. crowmanic

crowmanic Mezzo Piano User

Nov 9, 2015
    Thanks. I plugged up all openings with corks, stripped the lacquer with paint remover, and used fine steel wool. It's more like a brushed brass effect but I like it. I could always go back and do the Comet for a more satin look. Thanks for your input.

6. eviln3d

eviln3d Pianissimo User

Jun 5, 2013
    This...

I've tried to create a satin finish before using various hand rubbed materials and techniques and was never able to get a really good uniform finish... I've only see the really good frosted look achieved from the horn being bead blasted.

If you are going to try and do it by hand, then the one thing I did that gave the best results was rubbing in the same direction, when I tried to just use circular motions it really showed the swirls that I didn't want but when I just went straight along the tubing I go the best results... but never could get what I really wanted.... good luck.