How to sing in the horn?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by frankmike, May 31, 2010.

1. Sofus

Sofus Forte User

Jul 26, 2008
    And for singing in the horn? :-?

2. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    It's in the feedback loop. A trumpet works with a standing wave, remember?

3. brian moon

brian moon Forte User

That is the key that unlocks a good sound. Don't be a windjammer. Sing in to the horn.

Morrison at 1:16 in the second clip plays a great shake on a nice High G without puffing his cheeks. I have never heard him play with a clean sound before. Right after that he goes in to his usual blattiness.

Last edited: Jun 4, 2010
  4. frankmike

frankmike Piano User

Dec 5, 2008
    now Im confused

tell me in simple words. What do I have to insert into trumpet, air wave that will make the sound inside the tpt, or already pre-made sound that will only grow in tpt?

5. Sofus

Sofus Forte User

Jul 26, 2008
    You really have to both hum and play the trumpet at the same time!
    Try playing the lowest note you comfortably can, and then add humming.
    Play the note loudly and big on the trumpet so as much air as possible
    is passing through your vocal cords.

Last edited: Jun 4, 2010
  6. brian moon

brian moon Forte User

What you do is hum and play at the same time. The bigger the mouthpiece and the closer the range of the horn to your own voice, the easier it is to do.

7. guyclark

guyclark Piano User

Feb 28, 2008
    Los Gatos, CA
    Hi, Frank!

It appears that you are speaking of multiphonics. As has been pointed out, this is accomplished by humming notes while you are playing. When you do this, your vocal chords are modulating the air column in your trachea, larynx, and mouth, before the air has a chance to make your lips vibrate. If you were able to hum >>exactly<< the same note as you are playing on the trumpet, you would be able to adjust the phase of the hummed note with respect to the played note, and make a single tone, which you could make louder or softer by adjusting the phase. :shock:

In reality, you wouldn't be able to keep the phase and frequencies >that< close and constant, and you'd get "beat" notes as the two vibrations interferred with oneanother. If you could sing the third of a chord, you'd actually hear the fifth, making a major triad. This happens if you play those two notes with someone else on trumpet, and you get the intonation just right! :thumbsup:

When the hummed note has no relation to the note you are playing, you will get a gargling kind of sound. Since I personally can't sing high enough for this to work on trumpet, I have gotten the gargling sound all too often. This used to be a useful trick for me when I played in jazz band, to get a "growl" sound. As a symphony player, however, it doesn't do me much good anymore. (plus, if I want to do a "Cootie Williams" sound, I'd flutter tongue with a small straight mute and plunger combination):cool:

Hope this helps!

Guy Clark

8. Masterwannabe

Masterwannabe Mezzo Piano User

Sep 11, 2009
    Colorado
    Hi All,

This is an interesting thread and maybe the problem I have started experiencing is related to it.

For some time now I have noticed that I am apparently humming when I play. I am not doing this consciously and would very much like to eliminate the behavior. I seem to notice it most in the lower registers and believe it or not more on my Bb horn than my C horn. I have also noticed that the behavior seems to occur more when tonguing than when slurring. I am making deliberate attempts when practicing to not do this but it seems to continually creep into my playing.

Has anyone ever heard of such a thing? I don't know whether this is happening because of some bad habit I have developed or because of some physical change that I am not aware of.

If any of you have any ideas I would certainly entertain them and appreciate any help you all can give me.

Thanks,

9. guyclark

guyclark Piano User

Feb 28, 2008
    Los Gatos, CA
    Hi, MW!

I think you need to CONSCIOUSLY stop the humming while playing. It messes up your tone, and impedes the flow of air to the horn.

I have a few issues with my playing that I need to consciously deal with, like taking BIG breaths at the beginnings of phrases. I also used to have to consciously set my embrochure (mouthpiece position with respect to my lips) but after some years of that, it's second nature to me now, and requires no conscious effort.

Break the bad habits as early as you can, and get rid of them that much faster!

Hope that helps!

Guy Clark

10. beautgrainger147

beautgrainger147 Pianissimo User

Aug 6, 2009
    Rotherham
    It took a bit of effort but I managed to sing notes while playing.. I found a video on youtube so decided to give it another go. Since managing it I can't say I've much interest in practicing it though, the sound doesn't do anything for me.