How To Spend My 5 Hours Of Practice

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Passion, Jun 11, 2009.

1. Passion

Passion Pianissimo User

Jun 11, 2009
    I dont wanna mess around for 5 hours everyday so please give me a great routine to spend my time.

And should I practice 1 hour, then break, then another hour, break, and another hour? Is that a good idea?

Practicing 2 hours straight sure is tiring.

And I hate do the warmups with the slurs. Can I do it for just 30 minutes a day and be over with it. Or do I have to do it everytime I play.

2. BennyBGoode

BennyBGoode New Friend

Jun 11, 2009
    Hey, newbie here but feel like I have to help you :)

I would say that first you need to put in order all the things you have for practicing. Scales, playing, exercises, methods, etc.

Then, I suggest you that you start with 1 hour per day for a week or two. You feel that that's not enough time? Ok, move up to 2 hours, but feel that's not enough for you not think it.

That's how you get to get in love with practice, 5 hours is a lot of time to start with. Although you need to practice 5 hours to be the better. But, Carl Lewis was the best athlete, did he started doing the 100 mts. in just 10 seconds?. No, he needed to trace a logical training sequence to reach its peak, and so do you. You'll probably get bored and start to mess around if you practice that much time. Make of your practice time quality time.

Hope that I'm not sounding too bossy to you, not my intention. Just try to give the best advice that I cant think of.

Regards

3. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Passion,
    5 hours a day is tough to fill with concentrated practice, especially if you are not unemployed.
    If you hate "basic" things like slurs, you can hang up the trumpet. Patience, thoroughness and dedication to detail are what become required when "good enough" no longer is in your vocabulary.
    I would break 5 hours up into max 45 minute sessions with at least 30 minute breaks in between.

Whether or not you need to play slurs many times a day, depends on the condition of your chops.

What can we expect?
    5 memorized scales per week (start with major, and the three "standard" minor scales). 48/5 is a bit more than 9 weeks.
    2 pages of Clarke per week
    the entire Hymnbook
    at least 5 pages of Arban per week - CLEAN
    An incredibly clean pianissimo
    Double tonguing of all the scales at quarter=152, triple tongue at 132
    a clean room and proud mom and dad.

4. rbdeli

rbdeli Mezzo Piano User

May 8, 2009
    CO
    Just make sure you play songs. Whatever you practice; scales, long-tones, clark fingering, tonguing, etc., etc.., play plenty of songs in between.

Practice reading music..MUSIC., not just scales and arpeggios. Practice improvisation too.

5. Passion

Passion Pianissimo User

Jun 11, 2009
    A clean room? Lulz. Uh, I'm not the most organized peep...Also I dont have a clarke book. Ill tell you I've been doing ever since I stopped the painful two hour practice.

12:00 -1:00: Is 30 minutes of warm-ups slurs my trumpet teacher gave me and 30 minutes of scales in my arban book.

2:00-3:00: Is technical stuff of 30 min. double tonguing and 30 min. triple tonguing. I already get staccato and legato from scales earlier.

4:00-5:30: Is more technical stuff, then sighting reading.

6:30-7:30: I practice mainly Carnival of Venice and also Fantasie Brilliante.

If I'm not busy I usually play from 8:30 to 9:00 or just 8:00 to 9:00.

I can't afford to practice an hour a day for a week. I have to get real good before my senior year and I think I see progress quickly.

Is my practicing good enough? I only practice this much because my sister did and she played tuba only two years and won awards, all state band, youth orchestra, scholorships. Most kids at school only practice once a week or not at all in the summer like I used to do. I wonder if I can do the same as my sis so I'll try.

6. Passion

Passion Pianissimo User

Jun 11, 2009
    Oh and I'm possibly the worst sight reader in my highschool. It's so embarassing, sometimes I even mess up at 4/4 stuff. The only reason why I have a high chair in band is because I listened to another kid play, remembered it, made it more musical and then I auditioned.

I learn by ear. I cant keep this up anymore, I think I might've been a higher chair if I didn't bomb the sight reading section of audition. I improvised it, lol. How can I get better at sight reading quickly.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2009
  7. kellydmh

kellydmh New Friend

Jun 11, 2009
    shortcuts passion???
    nothing comes quickly, i am by no means a fantastic player, but that information is known by all.

8. RHSbigbluemarchingband

RHSbigbluemarchingband Mezzo Piano User

Jan 17, 2009
    hahaha if it were me a couple of months ago id say five hours straight scales!!!(no breaks)
    I kid, don't do that. BADDBADDBADD.

9. s.coomer

s.coomer Forte User

Mar 25, 2005
    Indianapolis, In
    Sightreading practice is play everything you can get your hands on. Rowuk suggested the hymnbook and that is a great place to start. Play different hymns work you way through the book.

10. Passion

Passion Pianissimo User

Jun 11, 2009
    A hymns book? Isn't that stuff for choir? Does that mean I can go to my church to get one?