How to squeal?

Discussion in 'Jazz / Commercial' started by pots13, Dec 27, 2004.

1. pots13

pots13 New Friend

Dec 5, 2004
    I have to squeal in a piece I have for jazz band (a duke ellington piece), and it is written as a g slurred to an f in the staff with 15mva written beside it (two octaves up). I am supposed to squeal at this time (from the recording and my jazz teacher), so I was wondering how I should do this as whenever I try I just get air...
    If anyone has any advice, please help,
    Pots

2. Mikey

Mikey Forte User

Oct 24, 2003
    You need to learn how to squeal?

Rent the movie "Deliverance"

:oops:

3. tom turner

tom turner Mezzo Forte User

Oct 25, 2003
    Georgia, USA
    Yeah, they filmed the movie "Deliverance" in N. Georgia . . . near the home of Lee Adams, "Mr. Triple C" himself!

Now Lee doesn't squeal like a pig like the poor guy was made to do in the movie by the "good ol' boyz."

The correct way to "squeal" is . . . not to squeal, but to simply play the notes up there rich and full. It takes many people lots of years to build their range into the "double" and "triple" ranges. Some never can do it.

I'd recommend finding a teacher who has a great sound in the altissimo range, like Lee Adams, and learn from that person. Playing in the stratoshpere isn't as rare a gift as a lot of high note artists would lead you to believe.

When one learns how to play up there it really isn't that hard! For 40 years of serious playing I didn't know . . . but Lee showed me in a couple of lessons and I gained a full octave!

Find someone who can teach you the art!

Sincerely,

Tom Turner

4. pots13

pots13 New Friend

Dec 5, 2004
    When I go to play really high right off the bat I usually just get air going through the trumpet. I think I'm trying to hard to hit high and not setting my embouchure right, but I'm not sure. Are there any tricks to coming in on a high c or something up there right off the bat? This could also work. But if you listen to the squeal in the piece I'm playing (happy-go-lucky local for those of you who know the piece), it's just a squeal and a REALLY loud squeal at that. Dunno if this could help any...
    Pots

5. JackD

JackD Mezzo Forte User

Nov 30, 2003
    Manchester / London
    I hate to break it to you but you probably won't just get a solid double G, if you've never owned the note before, by a "trick". I'm no high note player myself, but diligent and SENSIBLE practice up the top end (scales, arpeggios, melodies - whatever) seems to be the best way to work it up.

I wish I could nail a double G, but I'm almost there! (I'm up to Eb - only a major third left :-P )

6. eoliver

eoliver Pianissimo User

Nov 15, 2004
    Albuquerque, NM
    I could use a little clarification, are we talking double G as G above Double High C, or double G as G above high C?

I'm hoping we're talking G above high C, but if it's a Cat Anderson part, you never know.

For building a high range, my advice would be practice soft in the upper register. This will train the facial muscles where the note is. Once the you know where they are, add more air.

I took a couple lessons with Roger Ingram this summer, and he told me to start on C in the staff, rip up to high c, come back down and repeat. All ppppp. Now do the same on C#. Continue up until the upper note won't speak, and start again on C in the staff.

Another thing about high notes, you don't have to play them as loud as you think. Because of the nature of the note, it will cut through the band. Many times, backing off the effort and force will make the note sing better, and it will cut through the band more. Imagine pinning the note to the back wall of the auditorium instead of burying the audience in your sound.

As for coming right in on High C, you just gotta hear the note before you play it.

Hope this helps, unforunately, I don't believe that there is a "trick" to playing high notes. If you're not a natural, like some, you have to develop the skill.

7. BADBOY-DON

BADBOY-DON Piano User

Jan 23, 2004
    Gig Harbor Wa.
    Squeeeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaaal!!!!!!!!!!

OK!
    Try this....
    First, roll both lips, completely under (no red showing)

Without the horn or mouthpiece....just blow air through this weirdo' looking mess.

Try this in front of a mirror. (make a face like an ol' grandpappy with no teeth, blow until you hear a little fartzeeeeee'squeal,....
    Now take that trumpet to your lips and just squeeeze the trapped air that in your mouth only-----DO NOT BLOW AIR....JUST SQUEEEEEZE only the air that is trapped tightly in your mouth only.

I wish that I could show you......as it is sooooooooooooooo much easier DONE THAN SAID...N'ALL THAT JAZZ!

This little trick was shown to me by my mentor, the late Roy Cummings, jazz studies & trumpet professor at the U of W. a very very long time ago....waaaaaaaay back in 1962 at the World Festival gig...where the music we were playing had that same "Squeal" hand written into the score.
    I was amazed just how high-loud-n' LONG...one can play this with so little air....and just by using this false pressure techn.
    If it hurts....or takes tooooooooooo much effort, YOU KNOW THAT YOU ARE DOIN' IT WRONG.
    IT TAKES VIRTUALLY NO STRAIN OR EFFORT TO GO BALISTICAL! ;-) :roll:
    Although this may sound like a joke!!!!!! TRUST ME, IT WORKES!!!!
    "SQUEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAL-CITY!"

8. pots13

pots13 New Friend

Dec 5, 2004
    Great, I'll try that. Oh, by the way, I got the notes wrong. It was the f and g on the top of the staff (the g on top and the f on the top line) that are mva15 (two octaves up) which is physically impossible (squeal like you've never squealed before!). I can hit up to a d consistently and up to an f with a LOT of effort, but this is unheard of. It is literally :f6: and :g6: except up two octaves :woop: .
    Anyways, I'll try the squealling technique (I haven't played for a week so it might be a while before I try squealling) :shock: and get back to you.
    Thanks a bunch,
    Pots
    ETA - yes, the g above double high c.

9. Tootsall

Tootsall Fortissimo User

Oct 25, 2003
    Yee HAW!
    Try sitting on a red-hot stove element at the same time. It might help. :bleah:

10. eoliver

eoliver Pianissimo User

Nov 15, 2004
    Albuquerque, NM
    Well, in that case, good luck. The excercises Roger gave me have gotten me up to Dubba D, sometimes Eb, but G? I'd do the rolled in lips thing. If you wanna hear people really playing those notes, check out http://www.tasteebros.com. Pretty Funny stuff. Good luck.