How to stop cheek puffing!!!

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Mamboman, Oct 18, 2012.

1. Mamboman

Mamboman Pianissimo User

Dec 28, 2011
    NSW Australia
    Heyllo people of TM.

I've has this problem for like a year right now, and it is a huge pain in the ass for my playing. Any Tips?

And on a completely unrelated topic... Is it alright to clean your trumpet mouthpiece by boiling it?

Thanks everyone!

2. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    This will be a hard one to answer unless you are evaluated by a physician. You may have herniated or tore muscle bundles which is an irreversible condition. Check out pictures of Dizzy. That condition is irreversible. However in Dizzy's case.... BOY did he learn how to compensate!

What happens to your cheeks when you blow up a balloon? You answer may help lead to a differential diagnosis, but it still doesn’t not establish one.

3. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Let me first answer your question with a question... Why would you want to do this?

Any thing involving heat and metal alloy with plating could not be good for the human condition.

4. turtlejimmy

turtlejimmy Utimate User

Jun 6, 2010
    Oregon
    I'm not a doctor, and so I can't speak about any conditions your face might have, but if it doesn't have a condition .... I went through the same thing, puffing cheeks. My teacher (get a teacher) told me to stop doing it. I asked him how.

He was going on holiday for two weeks and told me to get a small mirror, that I could put onto my music stand, right in front of me, and LOOK AT MY FACE when I play. He said that if I could see it, I could work it out to get rid of the puffing, and while I was at it, the rest of the pained face I was making. It worked a treat. By the time he came back from holiday and we had another lesson, my face was like a peaceful lake. End of puffing cheeks and end of story.

Turtle

5. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    What he said about the cheeks. Why do you feel the need to boil your mpc? :?: If it's dirty, clean it with a brush and silver polish. If you want to kill all the germs, Go buy a bottle of STERISOL in the pump bottle. Isopropyl Alcohol will do the same thing but usually doesn't come in a pump sprayer. The Sterisol looks much cooler sitting on your shelf (gives you street cred. "Look, he's got the red stuff in a pump, he's legit"!). One bottle should last several lifetimes. WORD!

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

6. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    Take a look inside a brand new mpc and you'll often note that the brass is revealed. In boiling water all the brass bad stuff is leaching into the water and spreading all over the outside of your mpc. The only times you need to boil water are to make tea, soup, or stew. You don't even want to take a bath in it.

7. Mamboman

Mamboman Pianissimo User

Dec 28, 2011
    NSW Australia
    When i blow up a balloon, i do puff out my cheeks slightly, and i will try the mirror idea.

8. turtlejimmy

turtlejimmy Utimate User

Jun 6, 2010
    Oregon
    I actually scared myself when I first saw my contorted and puffed out face ... it can be a shock. Then, I started talking to myself in the mirror ... like, "What the heck is your problem? You look like you're fighting snakes!" :lol:

Turtle

9. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    A slight cheek expansion would be the norm. Sounds like the muscles may be intact.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2012
  10. Mr. J

Mr. J New Friend

Oct 9, 2012
    Sunny South floriDUH
    I had that problem when I first learned how to play. My teacher had a shoulder contraption with locking, swing out arms on it. On each arm, he had a really long, really sharp pin. He sat it on my shoulders once so I could see how it felt. Took it off, sat it in the corner of the room. I looked at that thing like death coming for me every time I went there for the next month. BUT, just having it rest on my shoulders seems to have cured the problem! It was a gen-u-ine miracle ROFL