How to stop cheek puffing!!!

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Mamboman, Oct 18, 2012.

1. trumpetsplus

trumpetsplus Fortissimo User

Jun 11, 2006
    South Salem, NY
    In lessons, rather than talking about cheeks puffing, I address what is most often the cause: lips held too loosely. When I have students hold their lips firmly together, voila! (not VIOLA:lol:), the cheeks magically stay in place. The same muscles that hold lips firmly together are the ones holding the cheeks in.

edfitzvb and gmonady like this.
  2. turtlejimmy

turtlejimmy Utimate User

Jun 6, 2010
    Oregon

:lol:

The Frankenstein method.

Turtle

Btw, Ivan's solution seems ridiculously sensible, and a good way to avoid the mirror and the dreaded pins!

3. Needs Practice

Needs Practice New Friend

Oct 14, 2012
    San Jose CA.
    Do you practice daily? If so I have nothing to add. If not, perhaps you are not developing the muscles as you need to?

When I first picked up the trumpet I puffed out my cheeks - like most untrained players would first time. My training (in my limited experience to date) has been consistent with the guidance given above and was as follows. In front of the mirror, and staying low (C through G) I played the notes as well and clearly as I could without any puff in the cheeks. I was limited to this for at least a week before trying anything else. Down here one doesn't need a lot of air to get a good tone, so I could concentrate on my tone while keeping an eye in the mirror and without a sense of effort that might cause me to puff my cheeks. Daily practice and some long tones in front of the mirror - then add a little crescendo and the next note up. Gradually work up the range and the volume while maintaining a good tone. This helped me develop a working embouchure and the practice took care of the muscles along the way.

Within a couple of weeks my muscles were stating to do their thing. Now - a few months into it - I still use the mirror for part of my daily practice.

4. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Hey, hey, that's how we doctors make our income. What are you suggesting; the patient actually listens to common sense? What are YOU thinking?

By the way everyone on TM, that above comment was pure sarcasm. I concur with my colleague, Dr. Trumpetsplus with his therapeutic plan.
    Bill'em Ivano!

5. trumpetsplus

trumpetsplus Fortissimo User

Jun 11, 2006
    South Salem, NY
    Roll in, Big bucks!

6. Mamboman

Mamboman Pianissimo User

Dec 28, 2011
    NSW Australia
    Yes i do practice daily, and my cheeks only puff when i really try to play louder, or long shout sections.

7. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    dude, you should also practice smiling throughout the day to strengthen all of the important face muscles!! ROFL ROFL ROFL

8. Mamboman

Mamboman Pianissimo User

Dec 28, 2011
    NSW Australia
    I'm always smiling!

On another completely unrelated note. I just got a satin brass Carol Brass flugelhorn. Is there any differences when cleaning satin brass compared to gold laquered etc.???

It's a great horn by the way, for me, it really was better than any $5000 scodmore, or Bobby shew (yes, they are marked up heaps in Australia)

Although, i did get mine especially cheap.

9. watchguy44

watchguy44 Pianissimo User

Jul 10, 2010
    Illinois
    That's how I got out of the habit of letting my cheeks puff out...blew up balloons everyday before playing as suggested by I. McKay (RIP)..and it worked!

10. schleiman

schleiman Piano User

May 12, 2010
    Austin, TX
    Forgive me, but boiling stew makes terrible stew, you must simmer. Gently simmer, that is the key to meltingly tender meat in stew. Now if it is a vegetable stew or some kind of bean soup where no meat is added, boil away! It only speeds things up!
    ;)
    But otherwise, one less reason to boil, which as it turns out strengthens your point.