How to stop cheek puffing!!!

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Mamboman, Oct 18, 2012.

1. VetPsychWars

VetPsychWars Fortissimo User

Nov 8, 2006
    Greenfield WI
    Yeah, stop doing it.

By the way, you don't need to blow that hard. Blowing hard is a waste of time and effort. Blow enough, which is a lot less than hard.

Tom

2. Mamboman

Mamboman Pianissimo User

Dec 28, 2011
    NSW Australia
    I'll get a balloon, and give it a bash. The "mirror method" isn't really working for me.

cheers anyhow

3. Mark_Kindy

Mark_Kindy Mezzo Forte User

Jul 11, 2010
    Gainesville, FL
    used to have a problem with one cheek puffing. Really, if your cheeks are puffing (besides any medical condition) your corners are probably just not firm enough (the mouth corners). When my corners firm, so do my muscles that keep my cheeks from puffing. Sounds like maybe just some long tones are in order.

4. VetPsychWars

VetPsychWars Fortissimo User

Nov 8, 2006
    Greenfield WI
    I think my answer was seen as flip and unhelpful, but really, it wasn't.

You should be able to take a decent horn and a decent mouthpiece (of the proper size for your lips) and just breathe into it and make a sound come out, basically.

If you can't, there's something wrong. If you HAVE TO BLOW SO DAMN HARD that your cheeks are puffing out then you have serious structural problems with your face, see your doctor, or YOU'RE BLOWING TOO DAMNED HARD.

Some people find benefit to breath attacks on the mouthpipe with the tuning slide in the top leg only. The more I learn about trumpet playing (and I am in my late 40s, by the way) the more I learn that some ideas of the way things ought to be (large bore horns with open backbores and large throats) is just a bunch of BS. Find an efficient horn with a tighter mouthpiece and "sneak up on it" instead of blowing your freaking brains out.

Tom

5. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    Daniel Speer suggested a "dope slap" every time a student puffed their cheeks back in the 17th Century.

6. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    most schools have a zero tolerance policy on drug abuse!! --- dope slap!!! ROFL ROFL ROFL most schools also have a zero tolerance policy on bullying --- - dope slap!! ROFL ROFL ROFL

7. schleiman

schleiman Piano User

May 12, 2010
    Austin, TX
    Hi there, Vet. I have a buescher "the 400" that was my grandfather's horn but has been turned into a lamp. The damage isn't that bad, and the valves are in amazing shape. I figure I'll get a new leadpipe, clean the plaster from inside the bell, patch the bell bend, and voila! But anyways on to your post.... I recently have made a few discoveries that have helped me to use a lot less air when I play. Or actually, I should say, use my air more effeciently so less escapes. #1 Soft, long tones everyday. It's astounding how important this is for your development. #2 was setting to "open", I know close my jaw a bit more (learned this from doing long soft tones).
    #3 Practicing breath attacks - this really helps me figure out where the note begins, you mentioned "sneak up on it" I really liked that explanation because I know the feeling you are talking about. Anyways, just some stuff I've learned over the last few weeks that has really helped me feel like I have plateaus to reach now. Cheers!

8. Mamboman

Mamboman Pianissimo User

Dec 28, 2011
    NSW Australia
    Everyone smokes dope in Australia ;) rofl rofl

And plus, its legal in Washington now isn't it?

9. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    might I add -- -that I find for certain long notes, and some upper register phrases --- a bit of cheek puffing, and that "extra" air really helps to make the sound more full and harmonious!!! just saying, I don't think it is totally bad, if you can control whether or not you can do it!!!

10. Zach

Zach New Friend

Aug 23, 2012
    I don't hope I'm derailing the OP's thread by asking:

Is it ok to warm up my mouthpiece by running it under warm water for a few seconds? I find it makes warming up on the trumpet more comfortable- that is, warming up with a warmed up mouthpiece just feels good and the notes seem to come easier and cleaner