How to stop head bobbing while playing ?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by patton45, Nov 1, 2008.

1. patton45

patton45 New Friend

Nov 1, 2008
    My 6th grader has a tendency to bob his head when he tongues or attacks notes. He says he is aware of it and stops when he recognizes it. I want to break this bad habit soon as it will make it hard for him to progress if he attacks notes like he is honking a horn...

Suggestions ?

thx

2. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Bobbing his head is already a habit............................

A good way to approach this is to give them a daily routine that starts with long tones on the mouthpiece (no tonguing), long tones on the trumpet (no tonguing), basic slurs (no tonguing) and then basic tonguing on the horn in front of the mirror. This builds the foundation for proper playing!

The WORST thing one can do is draw constant attention to it. That does not help cure the problem, and can cause the student to bend something else to compensate causing TWO problems instead of just one.

If a house is build on sand, there is a problem. I am not the first one to have brought this up.......................

Daily Routine, Daily Routine, Daily Routine, Daily Routine, Daily Routine, Daily Routine!!!!!!

3. Bob Grier

Bob Grier Forte User

May 4, 2007
    Greensboro, NC
    To replace a bad habit with a good one the student will need to learn what it feels like to not bob his head. One thing I've found effective is to place one finger on the top of the head or the forehead or the bell of the trumpet. This will remind him not to move his head. once he can tongue without the "body english" he will know what it "feels"like to do it right. repeat as necessary. This will help him practice correctly.

Another way is to relearn how to breathe and blow. Without the horn have the student practice taking a deep slow breathe and blowing fast with the taa sound. Then with the mpc. then with the trumpet. repeat as necesaary.

I once had a student who grunted on every note he played.

Bob G