How to stop Regressing?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by TrumpetSaiyan777, Sep 8, 2012.

1. gbdeamer

gbdeamer Forte User

Oct 16, 2008
    If that was true then this thread wouldn't be here.

High C and High D aren't unreasonably high notes, particularly for someone who can scream out double A's.

Sounds like you don't really own a high D and are trying to force it.

My knee-jerk reaction is to assume that you don't practice/play enough, which means your chops aren't strong enough to do what you're asking.

Practice/play for several hours every day. Keep it under high C for a while, then move up.

Time is a wonderful thing if you use it to practice.

2. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Don't worry. If you have no pain... it will come back... within a week. You likely over extended in your effort to deliver a command performance... Congratulations, by the way. You likely had swelling into your lip. This will go away. In the future, after you deliver a command performance, massage your lips (upper and lower) with your thumb internal to the lip and finger on external surface. Do this for 20 seconds at a time and repeat every 10 seconds for 5-10 times. Stop. Then do it again hours later (about 3 times a day). This will keep the edema out of the lip (the swelling is why it is hard for you to play at this time) AND it will maintain blood flow to the lip to remove the harmful lactic acid that builds from overuse.

3. TrumpetSaiyan777

TrumpetSaiyan777 New Friend

Dec 4, 2011
    I agree, time is great to be used with practice almost like a tool, thanks for the other tips. But this was a massive drop in my range that happened in the span of one day and that's why I'm lost. The fact that I can play my Double A's one day and have trouble on high C's and feel exhausted the next day is what stands out. My range probably isn't the greatest at a double A, but I at least know a high D hasn't given me this much trouble before. Thanks again for your advice, I'm in 3 band classes every day and I have a few hours to practice on my own time normally.

(I'm a little new so I'm not sure how to quote more than once) -Local 357: Sorry, I didn't think you were asking what size mouthpiece I use. It's not the best but I use a Bach 3c.I have another Bach 3c and a 7c that I use. Those are all I have, it's not the best for what I'm playing but I can't find a Jazz mouthpiece.

-Cornyandy: Thanks a lot, I'll take things easier for now and warm down more often after I play to help get my chops back to the way they were! I'm glad you were able to reach your peak again after a time, and I'll definitely pay more attention to overplaying like I tend to do!

4. DaTrump

DaTrump Forte User

Oct 21, 2011
    Huntsville, Texas
    Ledger lines are very daunting. Just play. On my marching band mouthpiece, I don't have anything really above High C but we have an improv section in one of our stand tunes and they let me take a whack at it. Well I landed on a nice high Eb (which was not the right resolution). Our music tech asked why the heck I couldn't do that when reading music. What I'm getting at is don't worry so much about what notes you are playing, just make them sound good.

Like the great Mark Kindy said "Play smart, not hard. Remember, music is what we're here for."

5. Mark_Kindy

Mark_Kindy Mezzo Forte User

Jul 11, 2010
    Gainesville, FL
    Thanks, DaTrump :)

I might also suggest a different mouthpiece -- however, if you were playing well on the 3c before, I'd be selective about how shallow to get the cup.

6. DaTrump

DaTrump Forte User

Oct 21, 2011
    Huntsville, Texas
    The 3C is pretty shallow.

On that note, my thought might be considered counter intuitive but do you feel a lot of resistance up top?

7. graysono

graysono Mezzo Forte User

Jan 22, 2007
    Hyde Park, Utah
    I just did the one week thing that happens in this area annually--big band show and dance. About three hours a night with a couple 3-hr rehearsals in the days before. I, too, worked all summer at flexibility and endurance and I got through it swimmingly. (I am not in the lead chair!) Since then my chops have tightened and I have lost the top end of my range which is considerably lower than yours. My lips are fat!! Sound familiar? Sometimes all the preparation is still not enough, or put another way should have been more. So, if you get the idea that this happens a lot and many on this site have experienced it, you would be right. Everything said up to this point is pretty good. But if you have been satisfied with your ability to withstand the rigors of playing to this point, and your present equipment has met your approval also, I wouldn't go on an equipment safari, I'd look pretty much at rehabilitation. Good luck. I'll be rehabbing right along with you.

8. Pete Anderson

Pete Anderson Pianissimo User

Feb 27, 2008
    REST. Take a day or two off and see what happens.

9. Local 357

Local 357 Banned

Jul 1, 2011
    Lets take up a collection and get you a Schike or Yamaha 11B and 11B. Or the 13 A and 13B.

Another thing to do is go down to your local musical instrument store and see what used m/pieces they have in the drawer. Find something similar to the above and take home for next to nothing.

Work into a new piece slow and gradual.

3C really is a harsh overly deep piece for most cats.