How to tell if you are playing in time

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by hhsTrumpet, Jan 10, 2012.

1. hhsTrumpet

hhsTrumpet Piano User

Dec 3, 2011
    California
    How do you tell if you are playing something in time without a metronome when you are practicing alone?

2. codyb226

codyb226 Banned

Mar 9, 2011
    Florida, US
    By keeping a beat in your head or on your foot. Just learn to keep a steady tempo and it will help you a lot in your musical career. Or you can download a metronome on your phone or computer or get a $7 one online or at the music store.

3. hhsTrumpet

hhsTrumpet Piano User

Dec 3, 2011
    California
    I meant, like if you can play something in time with a metronome, but you want to see if you can still play it in time without a metronome.

4. MSfortissimo

MSfortissimo Pianissimo User

Jul 13, 2011
    SF Bay Area
    I don't grasp what you're getting at.

5. hhsTrumpet

hhsTrumpet Piano User

Dec 3, 2011
    California
    People can keep in time better with a metronome, at least I do. So I want to take away the metronome and see if I'm still play in time. (Why do I want to do this? Obviously, you don't use metronomes in concerts, competitions, or auditions) So, how do I know if I'm playing in time.

6. Myshilohmy

Myshilohmy Pianissimo User

Jan 6, 2009
    Indiana
    Record yourself, then play it back to yourself and turn the met on.

7. Rapier

Rapier Forte User

Jul 18, 2011
    UK
    Have a metronome that you can turn the sound off. Then you can start off looking at it, look away for several bars and then back to check you are still in time.

8. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Well, when you are in a band, you have the rhythm section so you follow them. If you are playing solo, you just have to practice a lot so that you know what the piece is supposed to sound like.

9. BigDub

BigDub Fortissimo User

Dec 19, 2009
    Hillsborough, NJ
    Repetition, learning the feel of how the speed goes. Then it will become second nature.
    If you have a watch with a second hand, it can give you an idea how 60 BPM looks, then do your dividing from that.

10. Darten

Darten Mezzo Piano User

Dec 21, 2009
    New York City
    Good idea. :)