How to upload sound files/creating simple website?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by 65Strad, Feb 3, 2008.

1. 65Strad

65Strad Pianissimo User

Aug 28, 2005
    Toms River, New Jersey
    I'm not sure if this is the proper place to post this thread or not, so sorry if it belongs elsewhere.

This is kind of a two tier question. Any help would be and is appreciated.
    Question 1.:

1.) I'm planning to start a very basic website for my wdding services, hosted by either Costco or some other hosting company for not much per month, maybe $14-16 per month. Does anyone know if I will need to buy any special software if I will be uploading small mp3 (or another type) of sound files with maybe 20 seconds excerpts of some common wedding repitoire? You know, Trumpet Tune, Voluntary, Rondeau etc. Or should most basic templates facilitate the uploading as a default feature of the service?

I ask here in case someone has had experience with this. I call the sales people for these services, and no one can seem to give me a clear yes or no for what I thought was a relatively basic question. Shows what I know!

Question 2.:

2.) Has anyone used those digital recording devices, small recorders that can be put where a congregation would sit, and record the results (warts and all) of the organist and trumpet/s?

Thanks for any direction at all. For some reason these sales people seem as clueless as I am, or maybe I'm not aticulating my question with sufficient clarity, not quite sure.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2008
  2. misty.sj

misty.sj Forte User

Jan 27, 2008
    Brisbane, Australia
    1. What you want to find out is how much storage space you are allowed, and how much bandwidth (the total amount of usage created by people downloading and listening to your clips) you are allowed. It's usually on a monthly basis. You can find a good hosting plan for $10/month from AN Hosting - Powerful, award-winning hosting for just $6.95 per month (I am a very satisfied customer -- my husband and I host our podcast here). How you present your website is up to you, but you can use 'blogging' software like WordPress, Livejournal, or Blogger. Most of these will only let you host a very limited amount of media on their sites, so you may want to have your blog one place and link to your hosted media from the other place. Let me know if I'm not explaining this correctly. :)

2. We are very happy with our iRiver ifp799 recorder. They don't actually make the model we use anymore, but it's very good. It can be hooked into the tape-out of a mixer for more control. You can still find them on eBay. It's comparable to more expensive brands like Edirol.

3. 65Strad

65Strad Pianissimo User

Aug 28, 2005
    Toms River, New Jersey
    Thanks Misty. I don't think that the storage capacity will be the issue, bandwidth for downloading not sure, good point to look in to.

My site will be very basic, text, maybe a couple of photos and just several mp3's maybe 20 second clips of sound, not video. Is any special software generally needed for that application?

No blog, just a simple contact us with via the site with a phone number attached. Pretty much it. Do you think I need anything else?

I own a domain name, and was going to have an email address associated with the domain name. Am I on the right track or do i need something else to upload the sound files other than the small files themselves?

4. misty.sj

misty.sj Forte User

Jan 27, 2008
    Brisbane, Australia
    Hi again! A couple things.

1. The bandwidth depends on how many people you think will download / listen to your clips. If it's below 50 per month, you are probably OK.

2. The reason I suggested a blog format is that it's super easy to edit without knowing anything about webpages. You just create a new 'post' (almost like creating a new post here on this forum) and it automatically gets put on the front page. You can have a 'Contact Me' form that doesn't expose your email address, so you cut down on spam too.

Also blogging software will make it really easy for you to link to audio, video, and pictures. If you have space with your blog, it will make it easy for you to upload your sound files right in the post.

I'm pretty geeky as you can tell. Let me know if you would like more info. :)

5. misty.sj

misty.sj Forte User

Jan 27, 2008
    Brisbane, Australia
    By the way I just checked and WordPress lets you upload videos and audio. Check out their features here: Features « WordPress.com

You can also use WordPress software on your own hosted service. But if you don't want the hassle you can just point your domain at your WordPress blog, so that when people type in your domain they automatically go there.

6. 65Strad

65Strad Pianissimo User

Aug 28, 2005
    Toms River, New Jersey
    Misty,

I just contacted the hosting company and it is a fantastic deal. I'm signing up today. Thanks for the great advise. I may reach out to you sometime for some advise.

Since this "sounds" simple, I hope I won't have to grab your ear. Last question, should a digital recorder with two mics on the top be ok for my purposes if the recorder isn't junk?

Now recording quality samples when playing will be the challenge. Thanks very much for your unselfish sharing.

7. misty.sj

misty.sj Forte User

Jan 27, 2008
    Brisbane, Australia
    Hi there! I hope it is simple for you. It should be pretty easy even if you want to set up WordPress or another blog in your hosting space. I really think it's the way to go for simplicity and a nice pulled-together looking site. Definitely let me know if you need help, I am really good at this kind of thing. :)

Now, as to the recorder -- I don't know the requirements for recording trumpet / music really. We record voice. We record an audio podcast (http://geekfarmlife.com). We have several goals in mind:

1. We record from our barn so we want to capture 'barn noise'.
    2. We hate editing. We want to do everything live.
    3. We want flexibility to have up to three live voices, a phone-in interview, and music / sound clips from an iPod.
    4. We want to record direct to mp3.
    5. We didn't want to drop a lot of cash for our set-up because we certainly don't make money from the podcast.

So we have a Behringer UBB-1002 mixer. This mixer goes for $90-$100 online. It has 10 channels and can be powered by batteries It's a perfect set-up for the barn, because it's portable. The casing is metal, and the mixer is durable. It's also simple. It has sliders, which are more intuitive to use than dials sometimes. It has mono and stereo inputs, it has an output that we can capture on a digital recorder.

We use cheap headset/mic combos from Radio Shack. They work absolutely fine for voice.

We have a nice Crown floor mic which was loaned to us, for capturing ambient noise. It's the flat kind that you set on a hard surface and it has great pick-up.

We have an iPod nano on another input for playing audio clips directly in the mix. We can hook up a phone or a computer using Skype to capture phone interviews.

Then we hook up the iRiver recorder to the main output, and one of us monitors the iRiver output through the headset.

The reason I go into this detail is to show you what can be done, and how simple it is. To hook up two mics you will really want a mixer of some sort. I would not go smaller than a 10-channel mixer, but I believe you can find a 2-channel one. This way, you can control the mix of the mics quite easily.

Your mics are probably going to be the most expensive part of your set-up. You are going to have a hard time finding a digital recorder with a really good internal mic.

Let me know if you have questions about our set-up. I'm not saying it's the right one for you, but it may be a place to start. :)

8. 65Strad

65Strad Pianissimo User

Aug 28, 2005
    Toms River, New Jersey
    Very cool, and fantastic information. I think that this is going to be fun. I'll let you know when I'm up and running. I just created a wordpress acct.

Thanks again Misty!

9. misty.sj

misty.sj Forte User

Jan 27, 2008
    Brisbane, Australia
    Hi Tom! I'm glad you are having fun. Just to clarify, setting up an account on Wordpress.com doesn't use your newly-purchased hosting service. You should be able to set up the WordPress software in your hosting account. I think you can do it straight from the Control Panel.

OK, here is the starting point for you: Welcome to AN Hosting.

You will need to follow the instructions there. Since you've already signed up for the hosting plan, I'm sure there will be some place for you to log in. If you have questions just call them and they will help you out. :)

This is probably boring for everyone else so PM me if you have more questions. :)

10. Satch

Satch New Friend

Nov 10, 2003
    "2.) Has anyone used those digital recording devices, small recorders that can be put where a congregation would sit, and record the results (warts and all) of the organist and trumpet/s?"

Been using the Zoom H2 to record performances. Works great!