How to Use Stamp Method

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by hrg96, Oct 26, 2010.

1. hrg96

hrg96 New Friend

Aug 21, 2009
    I am a comeback player and am interested in the Stamp books. I bought the Stamp book and the Roy Poper book as well. The discussion in both books do an excellent job describing the concepts and method for using the actual exercises, but I'm not sure howto put the exercises together. It describes doing a progression of buzzing without the MP, buzzing on the MP then going to exericse 3. So how do you use/incorporate the lip bend exercises and others in the book? I find the concepts for developing your soud and centering pitch to be really logical. Any help would be appreciated.

PS. I know that these books are best used with a competant teacher who is well versed in the Stamp method, but I am just a hobby player doing this DIY. THanks in advance.

2. hup_d_dup

hup_d_dup Piano User

May 28, 2009
    Tewksbury, NJ, USA
  3. dhbailey

dhbailey Piano User

Jul 28, 2009
    New Hampshire
    I've been using it for a year and a half, and I have to say it has revived my trumpet playing. Did you get it with the CD? Use the Cd and follow it, playing along with it.

Do the outline exactly as the book says, up through #6. do the whole thing as it says, doing the lips alone exercises along with the appropriate tracks on the Cd, then doing the mouthpiece along on the exercise at the bottom of p. 5 (along with the CD), then #3 (complete), and 4B all with only the mouthpiece also all playing along with the Cd, then do 3, 4A, 4B, 5 and 6 with the trumpet all playing along with the CD. One of Stamp's big teaching points, from what I understand, is that he insisted his students play along with the piano so as to always be working for good intonation while also working to improve their range and tone on the trumpet. Follow his fingerings in the pedal range, except for the low E, last note in the 3rd measure on the 3rd line of exercise 3 -- it's a misprint in the book. Use 1 and 2, not 1 and 3 as is printed.

And keep at it, even when the exercises go beyond the range you can play in. Keep trying for that one more high note, then stop working on that exercise and move to the next. Eventually that last high note will become easier and you'll start being able to squawk out the next higher note, and so it will build.

Be patient and do it every single day, and you should see good results in fairly short time. I know I did, after learning about it during an early morning warm-up session at ITG convention in Harrisburg.

4. hrg96

hrg96 New Friend

Aug 21, 2009
    Thanks,
    This is helpful. I really think the explanations in the book and especially the Poper book get at the method. This helps me with how to build a routine.

5. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    The best way to use the Stamp method is to find a teacher that uses it and understands it - at least to get started. 10 minutes of monitoring can save hundreds of hours of frustration.