How to use the books

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by The Dutch Guy, Apr 14, 2015.

1. The Dutch Guy

The Dutch Guy Piano User

Sep 22, 2008
    Netherlands
    Hi all,

It's been a while since my last post here, but I have come back for advise once again :-).

I've been playing for about 15 years or so, and consider myself a decent amateur player. A few years back I bought some trumpet books to study from, but I never really got started with them, mostly because I didn't know how to use them and where to start. I got the Schlossberg, two Clarke books , Collins and Arban (perhaps more, can't remember).

Recently I got the opportunity to play first trumpet in a '1st devision' orchestra in the Netherlands. That would be the second highest rating an orchestra can have, after concert division (which is mostly professionals). Needless to say, I'm quite honored to be asked to play there, and want to improve my playing to make sure that I can keep the spot and not dissapoint them :-).

So is there anyone that can suggest a way of using those books? What I'm looking for is something like: first do warmup, then do 5 exercises of this chapter of that book, then do 10 exercises of that book. On uneven days, do this book instead... bla bla bla. You get my point.

What I want to achieve is just get better all-round. So improve the comfortable range a bit, improve the technique, endurance, and while I'm at it, tone as well.

I have a full time job, and 2 rehearsal nights (thu and fri), with wednesday becoming the 3rd with the new band. That means monday and tuesday evening and the weekend are free to practice.

sooooo... anyone willing to give me some advice on a training schedule?

2. rettepnoj

rettepnoj Fortissimo User

Feb 22, 2009
    Norway
    You should take a lesson and let the teacher select some exercises for you. I can easily recommend a skype lesson with Adam Rapa. Well worth 75 EUR :-)

3. The Dutch Guy

The Dutch Guy Piano User

Sep 22, 2008
    Netherlands
    Of course a teacher would help. I'm not sure that skype is the best way for that. Either way, lessons are expensive and I don't have a lot to spend.

All I want is to know how to use those books :)
    Specifically, how many exercises should I practice at the same time, when is it time to move to the next set, and how often should I repeat them. This depends a lot on the player of course, but some general experience would be nice.
    Also, what books should I use, and should I use multiple books at the same time?
    Any specific recommendations on which ones to start with?

What I've been doing recently is 1. warm up. 2. practice Carnaval de Venice (play through it once and practice most difficult sections separately), little break, and then the lip flexibility book, just playing the exercises after each other until I get tired. If I have more time, then after a little break either tonguing exercises or more lip flexibility.

4. mhendricks

mhendricks Pianissimo User

Get the free Sample Pack at this page and look at The Comeback Trumpet Player PDF. You will see some sample lessons and how construct your practice routine using various sessions of warm-up, tonality studies in all keys, using Arbans for trumpet, and also endurance/range/musicianship practice too.

MPH Music - Mark Hendricks - MPHmusic.com

Best,
    Mark

5. rettepnoj

rettepnoj Fortissimo User

Feb 22, 2009
    Norway
    Just for the record, I was talking about 1, one lesson, so you can play for the teacher so he/her can see and hear what you should work with. Then you get some recommandations on the right exercises for you :-)

6. Coehlers95

Coehlers95 New Friend

Jul 12, 2012
    Minneapolis, MN
    Hey first off congrats man! Thats great to hear! You should be proud! Also get out the "hope I dont disappoint them" thought. YOU are the one they choose and they didn't for a reason. believe in that! The biggest mistake you can make is not being confident when you play there. on the advice note.... So Im a pretty young player I guess but I'll tell you whats worked with me and what my teacher recommends and has taught me. FIRST! Have a routine. and major player I think will agree that that is the best thing you can do for yourself. The best way to build endurance... play! and play until you are fatigued EVERYDAY. eventually that will take longer and longer. but if you aren't fatiguing you aren't building Try to do your routine at the same time everyday and try to not play and practice until after your routine. (Do you have a routine you do everyday? some use the Adams, etc. I use Flexus) as far as using the books. most of those I personally dont use so I cant be specific but I know these books arent a "read left to right" kind. there are sections and sections for a reason. divide those up!! Maybe do 4 excersices for flexibility, then articulation, then slurring and intervals, pedal tones, more flexibility (but different). What I'm trying to say is spread it out. choose things that focus on a weakness you have AND COVER ALL ASPECTS OF playing.

Anyway hope this helps! I gotta go teach a lesson and Ill check back if you have questions. Again. Im only a 19 college trumpet player so by all means take what you wish and argue or disagree with what you'd like! :)

-Cole Oehlers

7. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    My warm-up is mostly the chromatic scale played slowly initially and then faster and faster adding jumps and dives from low to high and high to low then I sometimes mix it up with slurs and staccato etc., etc. Often my practice routine will include just random selections from my 2nd copy of Arban's and yet as many times as I've made passes on his Carnival of Venice variation I'm still not satisfied. For myself, I see no need for other books.

Too, congratulations!

8. coolerdave

coolerdave Utimate User

Nov 7, 2009
    San Pedro
    A teacher would be so much better at this...
    I would suggest picking up Claude Gordon's Systematic Approach. He has warm ups and then suggest different exercises to practice out of the books you already have.
    you could practice ex 1 out of each section in your Arbans .. then week 2 move to ex 2 in all the sections ... pick one of the Variation studies to work on and do one section each week ( some might take a few more)
    Clarkes Technical Studies.. they have variations of tongueing shown in the book. You could do one style each week. I like to always double tongue one of the sections in addition to that.
    Pick one of the Chararistic Studies from the Clark to work on each week or two weeks.. just depends on how much time you have. With proper resting this is probably 3 hours alone of practice.

9. Kevin Whiting

Kevin Whiting Piano User

Apr 13, 2013
    Greendale, WI.
    I just got this book a month or so ago. Working very well for me. I don't have as much time as may be required, so after the warm-up and tonality studies - I have to pick and choose as time permits. VERY nice to have a routine mapped out for constancy.

10. tomba51

tomba51 New Friend

Jan 5, 2004
    Here's what you're looking for, Chris Gekker tells you exactly what to practice from Schlossberg, Clark, Arban, etc.
    Summer Practice, 2002