How to work up to more practice time?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by john7401, Oct 12, 2009.

1. john7401

john7401 Pianissimo User

Jul 3, 2009
    So right now I get in about 25-30 min of playing in during our jazz band class at school and about 40-50min of playing during marching band at school. (Jazz is 2nd period and marching band is 5th so I get a good break in the middle of those) Right now I could probably do a good hour of practice per night and still have good lips the next day but how fast should I work up increasing this time? Do you think it is a good goal to reach about 2 1/2 hours in 2 weeks?

I also get in about 50min of pretty decent practice wednesdays at sectionals and we all practice as a group for marching band for about 2 hours every tuesday/thursday after school.

Also I know alot of you told me that I should practice quiet to save my lips to get in more practice time and get more control of my embochure over the summer. I should still continue to practice this way right?

1 more thing. How should I go about achieving the ability to process notes faster? I believed the main sightreading problem I had was rythms but I notice on some faster things the notes trip me up some. Does this just come with sightreading practice?

Thanks for reading.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2009
  2. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    If you play very softly, you can jump right in! You have jazz and marching where you play out. Make your practice very intimate. Just do it. If after a couple of days you notice strain, back off a bit. If you pay attention, your body speaks to you in miraculous ways!