How to...

Discussion in 'Jazz / Commercial' started by butxifxnot, Aug 12, 2005.

1. butxifxnot

butxifxnot Pianissimo User

Jul 10, 2004
    Here...
    get that wide, several-note-length vibrato? IE the kind that Maynard Ferguson does (how to get it in the high, and how to get it in the lower notes, if different. It seems harder). And in what styles is this vibrato appropriate?

2. jcstites

jcstites Mezzo Forte User

Jun 1, 2005
    Tallahassee, FL
    Well first we need to know if you use jaw or hand vibrato...

I use jaw, and for the really wide high stuff it feels alot like doing slow lip trills that arent as wide....

3. butxifxnot

Jul 10, 2004
    Here...
    Well, I've played music where there was a "shake" written in, and I shook the thing. It was wide, but it wasn't really a vibrato. How does MF do it? I think it's embouchure, but I've noticed that it really mainly works up high. ...

Continue. I don't really know much.

4. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    That's not vibrato. It's a lip trill or a shake. In Maynard's case, he's moving smoothly and rapidly between two partials on the horn, usually up to the next partial from the note with the shake or trill.

Some people use the tongue to do this, some people actually shake the horn. I use a combination of both. (probably NOT the best practice, but it's what I do and it works ok)

You aren't the first person to think that it is just a wide vibrato - I thought the same thing after my first few listens to Maynard and Phil Driscoll until I tried to reproduce it and found that it was much more than just vibrato.

5. butxifxnot

Jul 10, 2004
    Here...
    How do you do it lower? It sounds better (for me) up higher where the notes are closer together...

Also, in what cases (ie genres, I guess) would this be appropriate? It sounds really cool, and I'd like to be able to do it.