How we breathe

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Mark_Kindy, Feb 19, 2012.

1. coolerdave

coolerdave Utimate User

Nov 7, 2009
    San Pedro
    Yoga is great ( I should stop there) but there is a difference in the speed (?) of the inhale. I use to take long slow controlled breathes ..hold.. then slow exhale for Yoga. I find it one of the most challenging parts of the comeback is filling up the lungs in a relatively short amount of time.

2. Paul Du Bourg

Paul Du Bourg Pianissimo User

Oct 27, 2006
    JHB
    Hey Guys,

A Concept 2 rowing machine is a serious weapon of choice.
    If this doesn't teach you how to breath correctly nothing will.

Take it slowly at first otherwise heart failure is a definite maybe.

Rowed in 8 at masters regatta 2 weeks ago. Felt like lungs had been ripped out of
    chest cavity and replaced with a couple of brown paper bags...and we call this fun.

By the way give up smoking...

Cheers

Paul.

3. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    Yup, often very similar to gasping for air. Trick is to breath mark your music, thus get to inhale a little air whenever you can. Given time doing this, you'll find you've placed your breath marks further apart. CALM !!!

4. turtlejimmy

turtlejimmy Utimate User

Jun 6, 2010
    Oregon
    If it weren't for the breathing challenges, this thing (trumpet) wouldn't be so hard to play .... I don't know why, but nearly every bit of breathing advice works against my efforts at relaxation. The LESS I think about it, the more relaxed I can be. No advice so far, except for Rowuk's Circle of Breath, has helped. The worst advice, from my former teacher, was to breathe like a drowning man. Did I mention that I have a phobia around drowning??? :shock::shhh:

Seriously, it's a problem. I once had what my ex girlfriend called a classic anxiety attack (just the once) ... I woke up (in a creepy little hotel on a cross coutry trip) and thought I was suffocating. It was one of the weirdest things that has ever happened to me and no amount of simple logic from my girlfriend helped. Eventually, she told me to go outside in the parking lot. "There's lots of air out there." :roll: A weird experience that has no explanation. When somebody says to take a huge breath and then relax, I always think, you've got to be kidding!

"Circle of Breath" ..... Good one, Rowuk. You should publish it in a trumpet work book. I'd be one of your first customers.:thumbsup:

Turtle

5. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    Turtle, it is presumed that you don't swim very well. While nobody has told me how it feels to drown, if I had my druthers I'd rather go that way than in a fire.

That said, now sleeping with a continuous feed up my nose via a cannula of 2 liters of oxygen per hour, I do not perceive any dreams of being unable to breath.

Now under the care of an MD pulmonologist, I've acquired quite a variety of breathing exercisers, now not that I'm diligent user of them all. Post surgery when I started blowing up these mini balloons it took me 20+ puffs and now I can do it in 4 and break them in less than 10. There are variable inconsistancys in the manufacture quality of these balloons, and for many blowing up these balloons may seem meaningless, but not for me ... I'm alive.

Still, when playing brass musical instruments there are as many variables (if not more) not the least of which is quality and condition of the instrument, and too, the music itself presents variables. It's not difficult to play a single whole note measure at piamissimo, but quite a different scenario to play 8 measures of triplet 1/16th notes at double forte. Oh yes, it would be extremely difficult to play piamissimo whole note measures linked for 8 measures too. Try this latter on a euphonium or other brass bass instrument! It has been done, but don't expect me to now or ever to do it again. It was a drone in an arrangement I have of We Three Kings of Orient Are. Yeah, I missed the remarks that it was to be phased by 4 instruments, not intended to be played by just one.

Thus, I say we must adapt our breathing to accomplish the task before us, and that requires optimum training/practice in that endeavor. Are there any pearl or conch free divers playing trumpet? It seems to me that they would have excellent breathing capacity adaptable to playing brass music.

6. turtlejimmy

turtlejimmy Utimate User

Jun 6, 2010
    Oregon
    Ed, I'm not sure there's ever anyone around to tell you (how it feels to drown). I'm a good swimmer, but not a comfortable swimmer. I used to be a scuba diver, when I was a teen and into my twenties, but memory fails as to how I managed to do that without excessive panic (or therapy). As I get older, I get less comfortable in water, go figure. I need to work on it.

You've given me an idea, though. I was wanting to push my conditioning some and, while I normally do that with more walking, running or tennis ... maybe I'll try swimming laps at the Y.:dontknow: (I may have less of a fear of drowning when there's a cute lifeguard close by)

Turtle

Last edited: Feb 22, 2012
  7. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    Turtle, swimming is one of the very best overall body conditioners, including breathing. I've now resumed such at Roanoke Rapids NC public indoor pool once weekly on alternating Tuesdays and Thursdays. Because I'm a non-resident it was initially costing me $10.00, but now with Rx letter from my Doc. such is reduced to just 50 cents to rent a locker, actually $1.00 but rebated 50 cents when I return the key.

Too, I usually swim in lane one thus if I have any health issue I can grab the side. Too, I usually do some submerged swimming as the frog and dolphin strokes aren't very effective on the surface. What I find is the stroke rhythms I use can augment that of music.

I was once knocked silly, not unconscious, by an aqua board pulled by a power boat at a Boy Scout incampment on the Raystown Branch of the Juaniata River in PA. I don't know to this day how I learned to float on my back but that's the way they pulled me from the water and what I've been able to do ever since. Many have told me that such is a life saver in water. I use it just to rest and let the motion of the water caress my old aching bones.

Well, I would like a little more privacy in the showers and changing room, but they really aren't as bad as those I encountered in USAF, and they do have reasonably hot water, which frequently USAF didn't.

PS - I now do NOT do any diving, either from the board or the side per Doc's orders. I walk the steps in the shallow end or slide in otherwise.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2012
  8. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    What is too cool is you can even recruit more residual volume by doing this. Take a deep breath in... until you cannot take more. Hold it. Than take three short INHALATION gasps. Stop. Do it again. This is controlled breathing. I have my middle school students do this when the begin to get winded. It really opens their sound up again when we do a redo.