How were you introduced to Classical music?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Eclipsehornplayer, Jul 19, 2006.

1. Eclipsehornplayer

Eclipsehornplayer Forte User

Sep 14, 2005
    Metro Detroit
    I was with my family over the weekend and had a funny thought occur to me. I had taken them to Six Flags in Atlanta for the day and was sitting with my daughter while my boys, wife and a family friend took off for the coaster they were about to ride. I can’t ride them anymore because of my physical ailments and my daughter does not like them either; however I was never a big fan of them anyway.

While waiting in a heavily themed (Loony Toons) part of the park my ear started to pick up some music. Ahhh the Barber of Seville I started to hum along. Then many more pieces and then I was picturing the cartoons in my head. Bugs Bunny in the Viking helmet dressed in drag with Elmer Fudd trying to “Kill the Rabbit.â€

Oh my God I thought. My introduction to classical music came not through music but through cartoons!!! How’d that happen????? :shock: :shock:

I had never put that together before. So the question beckons how many of us were introduced to orchestral works by the Loony Toons? :dontknow:

Now that was a “Things that make you go humm†moment….

:bleah:

2. Richard Oliver

Richard Oliver Forte User

Jul 18, 2006
    Casper, WY
    My Mom and Dad had the RCA box set of lp's with the NBC Symphony with Arturo Toscanini at the helm playing the 9 Beethoven Symphonies. Also had Heifetz, Primrose, and Piatigorsky playing Beethoven Trios too.

At 15, when I became a Christian, the assistant pastor at the church played trumpet, I bought on Angel Records "The Messiah" conducted by Otto Klemperer and I was hooked. Found Maurice Andre not much later and I was enthralled.

Happy Practicing,

Richard Oliver

3. Tootsall

Tootsall Fortissimo User

Oct 25, 2003
    Yee HAW!
    That's too funny, John. We had that piece in our folder and used it in the last formal concert of the year. It was introduced as a popular cartoon theme, "The Bugs Bunny Overture", along with a lengthy joke about how our conductor was first introduced to it! Same dang story.

4. Solar Bell

Solar Bell Moderator Staff Member

May 11, 2005
    Metro Detroit
  5. trumpettrax

trumpettrax Piano User

Mar 18, 2006
    Texas
    I'm sure cartoons had an influence, but I just didn't know it like you said. What I can remember though is band. My teacher was an Eastam grad and dispised jazz, marching etc, etc. My goal at the time was to attend Eastman myself. So, he started making me listen to opera, told me to go to the local symphony and so on. I also took lessons from a DMA student at the local university (primary teacher) I also took lessons from the pricipal of the Muncie Symphony the DMA's teacher on occasion. That is all they did as far as I know. Symphony, quintets and the like. I never remember hearing about anything else.

trax

6. cornetguy

cornetguy Mezzo Forte User

Sep 12, 2005
    Saint Paul, MN
    the Boston Pops telecasts when Fiedler was still the conductor. When they did classical music as well as the show tunes, novelties etc. I wish pops concerts would get back to that format.

7. John P

John P Piano User

Jun 16, 2006
    Camp Hill, PA
    We listened to "Surprise Symphony" in my kindergarten music class. The surprise part was pretty startling back then!

8. jcstites

jcstites Mezzo Forte User

Jun 1, 2005
    Tallahassee, FL
    I dont remember how I was introduced since I was at such an early age. Having musician parents meant I have been at rehersals and concerts for as long as I can remember and then some.

Being a musician was never forced on me, but it would almost seem wrong to not be since it has been such a part of my entire life.

9. Manny Laureano

Manny Laureano Utimate User

Sep 29, 2004
    USA
    Second grade class with Miss Wilson. I can actually remember the tunes I heard... Danse Macabre, Buglers Holiday were among them. After that, we sang constantly under the tutelage of Mr. Michael Rosenberg. We sang songs of many traditions but mostly American songs. We loved it when he would come in with his cart of rhythm instruments and song books.

The heavy duty classical stuff came with band class and TV. Anybody remember the Huntley/Brinkley news report? It featured the Scherzo from Beethoven 9th. The next big thing for me was seeing "Rhapsody in Blue" the george Gershwin Story featuring Alan Alda's dad, Robert Alda, as Gershwin. I was pretty hooked after seeing that movie.

ML

10. wiseone2

wiseone2 Artitst in Residence Staff Member

Nov 19, 2003
    Brooklyn,NY
    Classical music was all over the place in the good old days. The William Tell Overture, Les Preludes, Donna Diana, The Flight of the Bumblebee, Valse Triste, Coppalia, The Funeral March for a Marionette, On the Trail were used on early TV and radio shows I remember from childhood.
    Remember the New York Philharmonic playing on prime time TV?
    It doesn't happen today :-(
    Wilmer