How were you introduced to Classical music?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Eclipsehornplayer, Jul 19, 2006.

1. Corsair

Corsair Pianissimo User

Jun 19, 2006
    MN
    My Grandmother and Great Aunt took me to see a PDQ Bach (Peter Schickele) concert at the U of MN. Was my first introduction to classical? music. Had a great time of it to. With The Hansel And Gretal And Ted And Alice Operetta. And he actually turned Beethovens' 5th into a sporting event. Was in junior high.

And I heard that Mel Blanc never ever thought he would be singing opera.

Fun stuff.

2. camelbrass

camelbrass Mezzo Forte User

Nov 5, 2003
    Dubai, UAE
    Like most of you guys radio and TV was first up. However, I started playing in brass bands in Sydney when I was 8. Our bandmaster was good friends with Peter Walmsley and Cliff Goodchild of the SSO (who were also bandmasters). I went to my first SSO concert at 10 and was 'hooked'.

Regards,

Trevor

3. Jimi Michiel

Jimi Michiel Forte User

Mar 22, 2005
    Boston
    My family tells me that when I was very very young (3 or 4, I'm guessing) they would take me to church and the only way I would be quiet is if we sat by the organ so that I could watch the organist play (there wasn't a loft, the organ was at the back of the church right next to the seats). I would run over and silently "play along" with the organist throughout the ceremony. Musical exposure and learning to be quiet in church, not bad. (sitting still though the whole thing would come much, much later).

The only other very early thing I can remember was a cassette tape my mom had. She bought it when she got a new car with a cassette player in it (circa 88, I think). It was Beethoven 5 and, besides the incredible sound, the thing I remember most is that the spine featured the same big reddish/orange block lettering that I saw on the spine of my Beach Boys tape (capitol records, I think), my favorite band at the time.

-Jimi

4. tpter1

tpter1 Forte User

Jan 12, 2005
    Northern New York
    It was around the house alot when I was a kid. My father always litened to Beethoven...he especially loved the fifth. We also had some Gilbert and Sullivan that I really enjoyed...Pirates of Penzance. My mother was always taking us to concerts in the park, many of them classical. I also watched alot of Bugs Bunny... How much Rossini I was exposed to there is still surprising me.

5. Bill Dishman

Bill Dishman Piano User

Nov 22, 2003
    Gainesville, Florida
    Introduction to Classical Muisc

I was coming home from school one day (5th grade) and noticed a neighbor had put a stack of old 78 rpm records out on the curbside. I asked him if I could have some of them and he said sure. They were the old thick multi-disc records that one doesn't see very often anymore.

Pierre Monteaux was conducting Scheherezade with the San Francisco Symphony on one of the records. Fell in love with this music! Listened to it dozens of times in a row. Got frustrated with having the music stop every time a new side was needed (6 records total for this pieces) so I loaded all six records onto my old Sears and Roebuck fold-down suitcase style record changer. Aaahhh! They all fell at once, cracking about half the records! Got so mad that I had to go find the piece on a long playing record. The Monteaux recording was not available unfortunately.

This started a long standing love for classical music that continues to this day. I was able to find a 33 1/3 LP of the Monteaux recording many years later and it is still one of my favorites.

Bill Dishman
    Gainesville, Florida

6. FreshBrewed

FreshBrewed Mezzo Piano User

Nov 11, 2003
    Houston, TX
    My mother used to sit and practice violin in front of me when I was about 3 or 4. She did the same thing to my brother and sister when they were young. Now, I play trumpet for my little girl.

7. bandman

bandman Forte User

Oct 16, 2004
    Lafayette, LA, USA
    I grew up in Fairfax County, Virginia, just across the river from Washington, DC. I don't remember the first military band concert that I attended because I was probably in a stroller. Part of my life as a child was following the Army, Navy, and Marine Band around to hear as many concerts as possible.

In high school I studied with John Wright of the USMC Band, and I was a member of the National Symphony Young Apprentice Organization. With the Kennedy Center, Constitution Hall, and Wolf Trap along with the military bands, I was always going to see a performance of some kind, most of it classical in nature. The best thing was that the military band performances were all free, so as a high school kid I could afford to go as often as I wanted!

8. ROGERIO

ROGERIO Mezzo Forte User

Sep 30, 2004
    PHOENIX, AZ
    Ditto here. We were quite spoiled growing up in the DC area.

The Army Blues would do assembly concerts at least twice a year at the High School I attended.

9. Eclipsehornplayer

Eclipsehornplayer Forte User

Sep 14, 2005
    Metro Detroit
    Interesting stuff guys keep it coming.

It's neat to see just how we all heard the music most of us have come to love today.

Wimer your so right...

I remember growing up and hearing classical licks all over the place.

So sad how it's going by the wayside! :-(

Six flags was great they had all kinds of music piped into the PA system and I really enjoyed hearing such New Orleans Jazz classics as Miss New Orleans, Sleepy Time Down South and many others.

Ahhh I love this instrument. :cool:

10. Adrian_H

Adrian_H Pianissimo User

Dec 4, 2004
    Manchester, UK
    Believe it or not, the first classical music album I remember hearing was 'Hooked on Classics', the one with about 50 different pieces all arranged into one with a cheesy electronic drumbeat added! As a kid I loved that album so much that I used to be able to whistle along to all the changes of tune (problem was at them time I never which tune was which!). In fact I think my introduction to the Haydn Concerto was through Ray Leppards very short performance of it in part of Hooked on Classics 3!

Funnily enough, I've been Hooked on Classical music ever since!