How/why did you start playing trumpet?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by [email protected], Jan 23, 2009.

1. GoodMusic@PA

[email protected] Piano User

Aug 7, 2008
    Hello,
    I was just wondering how everyone started to play trumpet, and why or who inspired you, and what kind of horn you started on.

ps(im sorry if there already is a post like this:dontknow:)

2. lmf

lmf Forte User

May 16, 2007
    Indiana USA
    I was a tough kid from a tough neighborhood. Band music probably help save my life, point me to the Lord who did the rest hand put me on the "straight and narrow" pathway. One doesn't have to smoke, drink and drug to have a good time and the kids in my neighborhood did their share.

I started playing in a Salvation Army band in the cornet section. Yes, I actually played a cornet and I learned the spiritual philosophy of The Salvation Army and the reason for playing brass instruments in its bands. This has has been with me throughout my life since. Thus, my signature is my testimony as well as a sign-off.

Best wishes,

Lloyd

Last edited: Jan 23, 2009
  3. Pakatak

Pakatak New Friend

I was inspired to play trumpet by my boy scout troop's bugler, because I wanted to be bugler someday. Started in the basic 6th grade band on a not-so-great rental horn, but by 7th grade I bought an intermediate level Gerhard Baier. I still use it for pep band and marching band because it has a nice, cutting sound (and if I trip and fall it's also not my main horn being munched).

Also, I think this might belong better in the Trumpet Discussion forum.

4. Dave Mickley

Dave Mickley Forte User

Nov 11, 2005
    Indianapolis
    I started in the 5th grade and wanted to play the trombone but was to short to reach the last several positions. We had very little money so my Dad took my paper route money and bought my first horn with it. It was an older Conn cornet that looked like a trumpet, made in the 50's and cost all my hard earned money that I had saved for over a year - $50.00. Took another year to save for my bike.

5. Darthsunshine

Darthsunshine Mezzo Forte User

Jul 19, 2008
    Seattle, WA
    I started around 5th grade. That was a long time ago, but I'm prettysure it was because I like Herb Alpert. Ma & Pa saved upon and bought me a Bundy trumpet, which I still have. I played that horn until my 2nd year in high school, when I got the 1976 Benge, which I played through two years of college. Took 27 years off, and started my comeback in November 2007. Having a blast :D

6. zonebob

zonebob New Friend

Dec 30, 2008
    Kansas
    I started in the fifth grade with cornet, I played for several years and was first chair at least part of that time. In seventh grade, they wanted trombones and talked me into switching, then the new director wanted a bigger band and threw us in with the high school band (the entire school K-12 was about 150 students). Between the new instrument and the advanced environment, I gave it up.

FFwd 35 years, I just bought a used Yamaha on Ebay. I've been thinking for several years that I wanted to get back into playing music, and I figured now or never. I listen to a lot of jazz and it bugged me that I couldn't play anything myself, and I knew I'd had success with trumpet before. Also lots of my favorite musicians are trumpeters, Wynton, Miles, Satchmo, Dizzy, Clifford, and Stan Kessler in the local KC jazz market. My wife said there are probably worse mid-life crisises. I've always been a good whistler, so I know I can train my ear to hear the pitch and the tone, and hopefully the tongue and breathing will translate, if not the embouchure.

7. GoodMusic@PA

[email protected] Piano User

Aug 7, 2008
    yea, i will repost this in the trumpet discussions category, sorry, i'm basically new to forums:-P and sorry to the others who posted it here.

8. Wlfgng

Wlfgng Piano User

Aug 15, 2008
    Canada
    I started playing the trumpet in grade 7 in out Jr. High band. I had to play some form of instrument because I was quitting piano....wasn't cool enough(only if I knew). Soon after started playing in our Church brass band and on into Sr. High. Took a break for....oh....17 yearsish picked it back up at the urging of a friend and now I am a comeback player.

9. simonstl

simonstl Pianissimo User

Nov 25, 2008
    Dryden/Ithaca, NY
    I started playing in 4th grade. We had some kind of test in the cafeteria at the end of 3rd grade, mostly to do with hearing tones, I think, and somehow they told my parents that trumpet was a good option for me.

I played through 8th grade. I was a good sight reader, and didn't practice much as a result, and worse, I was a pressure player who got braces. I was okay - 2nd seat in all-county - but the prospect of marching band and the pain of the braces wasn't much fun.

I played occasionally after that, but my trumpet was pretty well shot from my bad handling of it as a kid, and my brother's cornet (which I'd taken to college) was stolen.

A few years ago I started thinking about trumpet again, and last year I finally got serious, getting a trumpet and starting again at the end of November. This time I actually want to play, so I think it's likely to go better. We'll see!

10. Snorglorf

Snorglorf Pianissimo User

Nov 13, 2008
    Started playing last year in grade 10 cause the Tenor Sax was too much of a hassle to take home on the bus. :D

Then I realized that the trumpet was the best instrument out of anything I've ever played.. And that jazz was destined to be my life

DARN

all because of that handy-looking little case