How/why did you start playing trumpet?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by [email protected], Jan 23, 2009.

1. JazzyTrumpetplayer

JazzyTrumpetplayer New Friend

Mar 24, 2010
    I start Because my mom wanted me to be in band so, i decided on the trumpet cause my mom when she joined band when she was my age, she wanted to be a trumpet player but she never could cause her one tooth in her mouth was stuck out to much ( thats what the band director said) , and also it looked easy becasue of the three valves. ( I was 5th grader, ok! ) Um..... at first my mom, now my biggest inspiration is Allen Vizzutti. I started on a Yamaha Advantage Begginer Trumpet

2. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    My dad played and like most boys, I wanted to be like my dad. I could also make cool funny noises and make people laugh (still doing that now :lol:) !

3. turtlejimmy

turtlejimmy Utimate User

Jun 6, 2010
    Oregon
    I just started recently .... I play guitar and sing and fell in love with Cuban music last year after buying several recordings. I started singing in Spanish and tried to put together a Cuban band. At that time I was surrounded by great guitar and percussion players, but nobody played the trumpet. We had to travel to find a potential trumpet player, who was doing a concert with his rock/blues band, but he couldn't hit his notes to save his life (flat mostly, he was drunk too, like the rest of the band).

It was discouraging. So I thought ... I should do it (the trumpet).

Turtle

4. npolus

npolus New Friend

Feb 5, 2010
    I started playing back in the ‘70s after visiting some family friends. One of their kids had a cornet and I thought, “Hey how hard could it be? It must be sort of like whistling.” I found could make a reasonable sound with my first try so I rented a trumpet with option to buy, got a book and started to teach myself to play. As I said, I thought it was like whistling and of course I found out that it’s not exactly the same.

Trumpet playing was a sort a self defense for me as many of my friends played guitar. I thought that my left hand was far too stupid for guitar so I settled on Trumpet. I played for a few years and while I never got what you might call good, I had fun and could hold my own in an impromptu jam session with a bunch of guitar players.

Then I didn’t play for about 30 years. When my father passed I played Taps at his funeral. A few years later one of my nephews asked if I would like to play in his Christmas band. He pulls together a band to play rock and roll Christmas songs for one or two gigs. I played my first one and it was a blast. 15 pieces including two saxes with me on trumpet.

I’m getting ready for my third Christmas with the band (The MiSfit Toyz) and after a solid year of practice I'm in much better control of my playing. As I said in the beginning I thought playing the horn was like whistling. I have always been a very good whistler and can whistle just about anything that I hear or pops into my head. I want to have the same facility on the horn that I have whistling. Not there yet, but getting closer. God, it’s fun.

Nick Polus

'62 Olds Ambassador

5. photosnapper

photosnapper New Friend

Jun 26, 2010
    England
    I used to whistle a lot when I was younger but no one seems to do it any more :-( I think that it is very good training for playing an instrument. Not only does it teach you to use your ear properly but I found that it enables me to play music with feeling and not just mechanically like so many amateur players do. I often say that 'what makes the music is what's not written'. It's possible to play all the marks of expression and it still won't necessarily sound very musical.

Last edited: Dec 1, 2010
  6. Frankie Prive

Frankie Prive New Friend

Feb 21, 2010
    Mansfield UK
    Back in the 40s & 50s my mother played a Jupiter Bb in a small swing band and as a small child I recall her doing the practice routines. She quit the trumpet in 1960 due to family commitments and has never played since but encouraged me to take it up at school when I was 12 years old.
    I've loved the trumpet ever since and started playing regularly again about a year ago after a lapse of 35 years.